Compass basics... the lubber line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As I dive with other divers from around the world, it appears that the universal flaw in their diving has to do with navigating with a compass: they don't have a CLUE how to use it. So let's discuss some things about the compass that will make it EASY for you to learn it. Most of us know about the cardinal points on a compass: N, S, E & W. Let's expand on that a bit.

First of all, dive compasses are a hybrid. They are part nautical as well as set up like an orienteering style compass. If you look down on it, you can can clearly see that north points to north and that there is a movable bezel which we can align to north. However, if you look on the back side, you will see there is a window which reads only the direction of travel, much like a ship's compass.

Which brings us to the lubber line. This is a fairly misunderstood term. In essence it is our direction of travel. When boats first got compasses it became apparent that some sailors were good at using it and others could not grasp precisely where they were going. Those who were good at it sited their reading along the keel, while the others were a bit to the left or right. Back then, if you were a "nit" on the water, you were called a "lubber": sort of an early iteration of the term "stroke". See? Condescension and arrogance are an old sport! :D To make things EASIER for these lubbers, they etched a line on the back of the compass which is now called a lubber line. Ever hear of a "Land Lubber"? No, it's not a mispronunciation of the word "lover". It refers to someone who is afraid of the sea and wants to keep that lubber line in a direction pointing to land.

OK, now we know where the term came from, how do we use it? Well, think of yourself as a ship (a submarine in this case). When a ship's compass is set, great care is taken to see that the lubber line is parallel with the keel of the ship. YOUR lubber line has to be in line with your entire body as well. In the beginning, it's important to hold the compass dead center to you with that lubber line laying along that imaginary line that bisects your body. The more carefully you do this, the better your subsequent readings will be. Point your compass at something and look into that window at the back side of the lubber line. Record the number. Now, hold the compass a little lower while pointing at the same object. See where North is pointing? It should be red with a point. Ok, now twist the bezel of your compass and match the north symbol on the bottom of the housing (it moves with the bezel) to the needle. If you look around the outside of the bezel, you will see numbers and probably the cardinal points of a compass. There should be a line just under the bezel at it's very front. Record that number and compare it to the number you obtained through the window. Are they close? If yes, go ahead and practice siting both ways on a number of different objects. If not, you need to figure why your compass holding varies so much.

Big tip: Like most nautical compasses, your compass can probably accept a 30 degree tilt without hanging up the needle. It is in your best interest to keep your compass as level as possible.

Now, once you have mastered aligning things on land, let's see if we can follow our lubber line! OK, you have aligned the bezel to North. If you want to travel in that direction WITHOUT looking at the destination (like you are heading to the boat and you are now underwater), just keep "North" centered over it's symbol and travel in the direction of the lubber line. Now, if you aren't going to look up during this exercise, please be SURE that you are not playing in traffic or in any other area where not looking may put you in danger. Are you ALMOST at your destination? Great! Now, center the south part of the pointer over that North symbol. You have just found your way BACK to where you started. This is called a reciprocal course and it's great to know when you head OUT from you boat, and want to get back.

Big tip: Unlike land based navigation, we have to worry about "drift" caused by currents. This drift is AMPLIFIED when you are swimming into the current and DIMINISHED when you are swimming with the current.

Next discussion: Underwater navigation using the compass.

Great topic! As someone who'll soon be starting her AOW, this thread is especially timely and beneficial. :)

Hey NetDoc, even though I am aware of the compass and lubber line, etc. I loved the compass basics given in such detail. Well done.

Good info! Thanks! As a new diver I eat stuff like this up. Got plenty of land navigation skills from the military, but need all I can get with the underwater portion.

Great thread, I find when diving many divers have no idea how to use or read their compass, other than just telling basic directions, N,E,S and W. I have always wanted to set up an underwater compass course similar to the one I did while in a Recondo, Jungle training course when I was in the army. Maybe this thread will inspire me to follow through.

The next thread will be discussing more about underwater orienteering courses and will also delve into other navigational clues.

I will let this one set a little bit before I endeavor to write the navigational portion. Please feel free to ask any questions and/or give us tips about your use of the compass in here. There are no stupid questions saving the one you needed to ask.

NetDoc:
Big tip: Unlike land based navigation, we have to worry about "drift" caused by currents. This drift is AMPLIFIED when you are swimming into the current and DIMINISHED when you are swimming with the current.

:confused: I believe that's backwards. The drift is amplified when you're swimming with the current, and it's diminished when you're swimming against the current.

Centerius:
:confused: I believe that's backwards. The drift is amplified when you're swimming with the current, and it's diminished when you're swimming against the current.

Depends on how you look at it . . . "rise over run" or "run over rise".

For example, and I'll use whitewater kayaking here.

If you are paddling upstream and slightly at an angle to the current, then the current has a greater effect upon your lateral movement compared to your forward movement, therefore going into the current has a greater effect upon you direction of travel . . . and, needless to say, conversely if going with the current.

the K

Lubber line = the way you are going.........just set the bezel marks over magnetic north & get with it...right angle turns = add 90 / triangular turns = add 120 / reversing a course = factor of 180 (degrees)......

I find that using the window just complicates things. I like to just look down from above and use the number that intersects with the lubber line. It just seems like an unnecessary step to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom