Compass basics... the lubber line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
I humbly disagree. The only use for a bowline is on the bow of a boat or ship. It's use as a rescue knot is ill advised. The rewoven figure eight holds far more of the rope's strength than the bowline. It is used as the loop knot of preference for all rock climbers.
Oh, I agree with your disagreement.

I only use the knot on the boat (for tying fenders, a quick impromptu thimbel for a second anchor, tying a dingy, float, or Zodiac off one of the boat eyelets, and a half dozen other things). I wouldn't see its use as a rescue knot, as opposed to a simple utility knot (which I use often) -- and I don't rock climb... too risky a sport... :wink:

Hold up the bus--there are degrees of declination, and I use them when I am lost in the woods of North Canada...Or I am hunting bear in Florida....Divers need to focus on the lubber line. Trust me. Unless you happen to have enough air in your tanks for a 200 mile drift dive. You got that sorta stuff? PM Me.

HOLD UP. I guess I left the thread half done, and didn't even make a valid point. I don't consider myself a knot thread guy--Sorry.

BKP:
The rewoven figure eight might replace the sheet bend (both are used to tie two ropes together), however, it doesn't replace the bowline (which is a loop knot).

The only reason I ever learned knots is I'm a boater, and if I had to keep just one knot in my arsenal, it'd be the bowline... amazing knot...

).

Though I am not familiar with the rewound figure eight, I agree that the bowline is an outstanding knot, rarely slips and never jams.

If you look carefully at a bowline, the knot (not including the bight) is exactly the same as a sheet bend.

cancun mark:
Though I am not familiar with the rewound figure eight, I agree that the bowline is an outstanding knot, rarely slips and never jams.

If you look carefully at a bowline, the knot (not including the bight) is exactly the same as a sheet bend.
It holds a bit more securely than a sheet bend in the normal situation where the two legs of the loop have more or less equal pull. Still, if you tie a bowline in fishline usually it will come out. The angler's loop will always hold even in monofilament, but like many very secure knots, the angler's loop easily jams.

Compasses? Rarely use them. I am able to navigate effectively off Catalina using two simple directions... up and down! Of course, your mileage may vary depending on your dive sites and conditions, but I almost never use one of these devices and so far have ended up back at the boat every dive. Most of our dive sites allow me to easily descend to depth, film what I need, and slowly ascend the slope to offgas in the shallows. No intentional drift diving, etc. I do carry one though.

I remember when I was finally doing my AOW off the Great Barrier Reef. I failed compass navigation the first time despite following my compass religiously (have to "believe" in something!). Why did I fail? Because the compass was mounted on my wrist which has a slight cock in it. The needle stuck inside, throwing me off. Once I removed the compass from my wrist and held it in my loving arms, I passed easily.

drbill:
...Because the compass was mounted on my wrist which has a slight cock in it. The needle stuck inside, throwing me off. Once I removed the compass from my wrist and held it in my loving arms, I passed easily.
That's interesting...
I had kept my SK7 on a retractor, and my navigation skills were pitiful. I switched to my wrist, and it all came together. Realized the reason was, when I cock my arm to read it, the compass is always in the same place relative to my body -- I couldn't seem to do that with the retractor...

Different strokes... (no pun intended...)

As a climber, I have a great love for figure eights. But I'd have to say I'm quite a fan of the double fisherman's as well. These two knots have the highest strength retention of any knots (around 65%) and are crazy versatile. In a pinch, though, my feeling is that the best tool is the one you have... learn your choice few knots till you can tie them in a flash under stress, then use those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom