Compass basics... the lubber line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
In a dive or a climb ???? :confused:

the K

Darn Amwericans:

The answer is

Is depends whether it is an African or a European swallow. [Monty Python joke]

:rofl3:

Never could learn to speak "English" that quickly ! ! !

Still have a hard time understanding Benny Hill . . . . ? ? ? ?

the K

OK, NetDoc . . . .

Are you going to teach us how to navigate around a large, immovable object?

the K-ompass Challenged

The Kraken:
Are you going to teach us how to navigate around a large, immovable object?
Sure...

When you encounter The Kraken in the water, just swim above or below him. You simply AIN'T going to move him! :D

PS: Krakens can be identified by the iridescent glow that surrounds their bald pate. Don't mistake that for a halo! IDing this denizen can be complicated if they wear a do-rag.

PPS: I am about to write the second part of this series and will post a linky here when I do. :D

Oh, man . . . ! ! ! ! !

You're COLD ! ! ! ! !

the K-rushed

The Kraken:
You know, it wasn't until I started instructing that I realized that most of the people in the U.S., if not the world, have never even held a compass in their hands, much less have any idea how to use it!

Or could tie a bowline or sheet bend. :shakehead

when they introduced knot tying to the IDC, honestly, you would think we were asking them to do quadratic equations.

I swear, if it wasnt for velcro sneakers, a lot of people would be walking around barefoot.

Compass Basics: Navigation is up for your amusement and discussion. There will have to be a third installment devoted to some other topics. I will try to write that tonight! :D

cancun mark:

when they introduced knot tying to the IDC, honestly, you would think we were asking them to do quadratic equations.

I swear, if it wasnt for velcro sneakers, a lot of people would be walking around barefoot.
Hey! *checking shoes* never mind

some basic knots are good ... just being able to tie a plain knot without it "grannying" on you would work, along with a half hitch ... could probibly get by

cancun mark:
As the old saying goes "either tie a good knot, or lots of knots".
A whole bunch of half hitches and overhand knots work pretty good. :)

I have noticed that a lot of books ignore the slippery nature of modern synthetics. Some knots that work well in natural fiber ropes aren't very secure in some slippery synthetics --- the sheet bend is a good example. When either wet or underwater, knots are even more prone to slip. Hunters bend aka rigger's bend is a better gripping alternative to the sheet bend, yet it is also easier to untie.

The other not so common knot that I highly recommend learning is the buntline hitch. Simple to tie, compact, and extremely secure. Unfortunately, it will usually jam and often needs to be cut off rather than untied.

Back
Top Bottom