Compass basics... the lubber line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knot this again. The bowline has been replaced for all intents and purposes with a rewoven figure eight. Far stronger of a knot and it replaced the sheet bend nicely. After that, I teach the reef or square knot, the trucker's hitch, how to cleat and the grape or stopper knot. Those five knots can be used 99.9% of the time.

NetDoc . . .

If I may, there is something I'd like to throw in here for those who are just beginning to learn how to determine direction and how to use a compass?

IF YOUR ARE IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE . . . .
. . . the sun is ALWAYS to the south of you. Early in the morning, it's to your southeast; at noon, it's due south; in the late evening, it's southwest.

IF YOU ARE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE . . .
. . . the sun is ALWAYS to the north of you. Early in the morning, it's to your northeast; at noon, it's due north; in the late evening, it's northwest.

While navigating, think of yourself as the the needle of a compass (dealing with the northern hemisphere here) if you turn left, subtract degrees from your heading, if you turn right, add degrees to your heading.

I hope I have all y'all sufficiently confused by now!

the K-ompass K-onfuser

Actually, you need to amend that and say if you are North of the Tropic of Cancer or South of the Tropic of Capricorn. Within that realm you may or may not find the sun as you suggest. :D

I do say !!!
I do stand corrected, my good man !!!

Now, may I suggest, Sir, you wizz off to the officers' club ?!?!?! :D

I ain't got cancer and I don't do nothin with no goat.

the K

NetDoc:
Actually, you need to amend that and say if you are North of the Tropic of Cancer or South of the Tropic of Capricorn. Within that realm you may or may not find the sun as you suggest. :D
Phew, good catch.

I think you will find that this actually defines the tropics and their locations.

Now who can tell me what defines the Arctic and antartic circles??

D_B:
Isn't that where the limit of the sun not setting, or not rising, depending on the time of season?
Correct.

Both the limits of the tropics and the arctic circle are determined by the inclination between the rotational axis of the earth (the north pole to south pole line) and the ecliptic plane (the path of the earth around the sun). About 23-1/2 degrees.

Just to confuse things in a thread with Compass in the title --- that inclination between the earth's axis and the ecliptic plane makes the sun's declination change with the seasons from about 23-1/2 degrees South to 23-1/2 degrees north. Obviously the declination of an astronomical body isn't the same thing as the magnetic declination caused by magnetic north and geographic north not being the same. :)

NetDoc:
Knot this again. The bowline has been replaced for all intents and purposes with a rewoven figure eight. Far stronger of a knot and it replaced the sheet bend nicely. After that, I teach the reef or square knot, the trucker's hitch, how to cleat and the grape or stopper knot. Those five knots can be used 99.9% of the time.

The rewoven figure eight might replace the sheet bend (both are used to tie two ropes together), however, it doesn't replace the bowline (which is a loop knot).

The only reason I ever learned knots is I'm a boater, and if I had to keep just one knot in my arsenal, it'd be the bowline... amazing knot...

(Sorry for revisiting the hijack)

As for compasses... same same... Learned it because of boating, however, it's a totally differenct exercise diving... (and it should be a life skills requirement if you have *anything* to do with the outdoors).

BKP:
The only reason I ever learned knots is I'm a boater, and if I had to keep just one knot in my arsenal, it'd be the bowline... amazing knot...
I humbly disagree. The only use for a bowline is on the bow of a boat or ship. It's use as a rescue knot is ill advised. The rewoven figure eight holds far more of the rope's strength than the bowline. It is used as the loop knot of preference for all rock climbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom