Compass basics... the lubber line.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

getting back to basics of why people have trouble with compass use underwater:

Common problems I have encountered are

Not holding the compass level

Trying to do the math for reciprocal courses and compass squares rather than using the index marks and the cardinal points.

Failing to account for current by using waypoint navigation.

Losing count of fin kicks during distance estimation.

Not writing down critical information such as initial headings, distances, depths etc.

Not knowing how to navigate around obstacles and regain their required track.

Not being able to apply this information to go and do a dive and navigate back to the boat or shore uw.

Oh geez! THAT will scare them off quickly! The next installment will cover more about underwater navigation and you won't need your slide rule: I promise! :D

NetDoc:
Oh geez! THAT will scare them off quickly! The next installment will cover more about underwater navigation and you won't need your slide rule: I promise! :D

d039.jpg

[mark extracts geeky pilot thingy that is impossible to use in a helicopter from his pocket and tries to hide it]

From the practical to the obtuse. Next we'll be calculating firing solutions so we can torpedo our dive boat. "Flood tube number 1!"

cancun mark:
d039.jpg

[mark extracts geeky pilot thingy that is impossible to use in a helicopter from his pocket and tries to hide it]

AMEN ! ! ! . . . if you're flying solo.

(As I reach over and pick mine up from the top of my desk. But mine's a Jeppesen/Sanderson)

the K

NetDoc:
From the practical to the obtuse. Next we'll be calculating firing solutions so we can torpedo our dive boat. "Flood tube number 1!"
not our dive boat, the other dive boat .. Oh Looky a new wreck :)

Too funny cancun :)
And yep, lost track of # of fin kicks, writing down info,
Waypoints? ... on a featureless sandy bottom? ... thats another diver, right? :wink:
( in our case, you use depth/contour/slope )

Good info, for everyone ... you all have compasses ... don't you?

Another thing a person unfamiliar with compasses has to deal with, is the "lead" and "lag" when changing directions.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom