Compensation for Scuba Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working for "store credit" is very different than working for "discounts". Neither is "professional" but the later is ridiculous.

From my experiences and observations, all the instructors I've known get paid, usually based on number of students in the class. Plus they get perks (free air, discounts, etc.) Most divemasters only get the perks. Our shop is an exception with DMs getting $300 CAD per OW course plus the perks.
Instructor pay at our shop is $75 CAD per student, so for a class of 6 that's only $150 more than the DM with like 5-10 times the work. One instructor told me at times he wished he stayed a DM.

In the 5 years I worked as a professional instructor I was hired, with a fixed monthly wage, independent on the number of certifications released.
And I was told to be "as severe as possible", because my employer did not want his nice luxury resorts affected by bad scuba divers...
A payment scheme where the instructor gets money proportionally to the certifications released is quite worrying for me, as he will tend to pass also people which are yet not good enough for diving in safety without supervision.

This is why I teach as an independent. An OW class is 395.00. I get all of that minus the books and cert fee ($30+15 or so).
If the student buys personal gear from the shop where I teach I pay 25 per student for use of the pool for the entire class time. If they buy a BC and reg, I pay nothing.
If it's a private class, it's 600. I get that minus the pool use, book, and cert fee.
For any classes beyond OW, I get whatever I charge for the class.
I sell gear so I don't worry about discounts unless it's a brand I don't carry. Then I pay cost plus shipping.
Shops need to separate classes from gear sales and pay pros a decent wage.
If they are a shop employee and not an independent contractor, which depending on the jurisdiction may not fly with the relevant labor authorities, they should track their hours and insist on a prevailing wage.
Where instructors get screwed is if they want to make decent money they have to max ratios (which puts everyone at increased risk) and teach lots of classes.
I would quit teaching before teaching OW for a shop.
Or only teach con-ed independently and require students to supply all their gear.

Is it common practice for instructors to work solely for discounts? A scuba shop I know of does not pay instructors a wage but gives them a discount on equipment. I am not sure how I feel about this as a new instructor. Is this a common practice in the industry?
That's called slave labor and unethical and ignorant. Completely disrespectful to the instructor. If they can't afford to pay a decent wage, teach the class themselves or close the business.

This sounds so much like an "Instagram influencer" (HAH!) and others expecting artists and musicians to work "for the exposure".

If all you get is a discount you're paying for the privilege of working, instead of getting paid.

This sounds so much like an "Instagram influencer" (HAH!) and others expecting artists and musicians to work "for the exposure".

If all you get is a discount you're paying for the privilege of working, instead of getting paid.
That's my line---you must be a musician too.

Old adage. Diving, where you can spend thousands to make hundreds.

I DM for a University based training center and get paid by the University. With insurance and pro fees, I just about break even. To be honest, that's enough for me. Being a DM has opened up a whole new world of diving opportunities and gets me in the water much more frequently so I'm ok with making literally nothing (it's also a lot of fun).

That being said, I wouldn't agree to work for discounted gear. Dive pros incur real expenses that need to be offset somehow. I'd look for a different shop that can afford to write their instructors a pay check.

Back
Top Bottom