Compresser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Probably a silly question. I came upon a very new looking portable compresser--says 150 PSI. This any good for Air fills? If so, what's involved in maintenance?

??
150 psi sounds like a shop compressor. It's not gonna fill a Scuba tank. Even old steel 72s from 60 years ago took 2250psi to fill.

Shop compressors cannot be used for scuba fills even if they could reach the required psi. They are not designed for it and breathing the air from one could be fatal due to the lubricating oils used. I used to work in auto body and the shop had a special compressor to supply breathing air to the masks used in the paint booth.

I suggest you check out this thread: can you fill your own tanks?

Thanks guys. Thread can be deleted.

Probably a silly question. I came upon a very new looking portable compresser--says 150 PSI. This any good for Air fills? If so, what's involved in maintenance?

Is this a trick question or a test of some sort? I ask because you have upwards of 1000 dives, are a Dive master and have over 10,000 posts here. Just curious whats up with the question....

Is this a trick question or a test of some sort? I ask because you have upwards of 1000 dives, are a Dive master and have over 10,000 posts here. Just curious whats up with the question....
I though it was a bit odd too, I answered in case someone new to diving reads it. I have spoken with a few people who've been around diving who know nothing about compressors and have asked if a shop compressor can be converted to a Scuba compressor (for those wondering, the answer is NO).:)

I have spoken with a few people who've been around diving who know nothing about compressors ...

LOL ... I have spoken with a few DIVE SHOPS who have been around a while and know nothing about compressors.

LOL ... I have spoken with a few DIVE SHOPS who have been around a while and know nothing about compressors.

PLEASE tell me that the shops in question paid somebody who knew what they were doing for the air quality testing/ service/ maintenance.......

I wish I could. I called one dive shop and asked them what kind of compressor they had and was told "blue with a lot of lights".

Back
Top Bottom