Compressor 2 and HDV footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is anyone having success with outputting HDV underwater footage to Compressor for DVD authoring on a Macintosh? Curious, as I'm about to upgrade my entire shooting/editing rig.

Hmmm....I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate on this one a little. Please.

HD and HDV are two different standards. Those shows on Discovery HD and ABCHD are all shot in HD, which is huge data file when it's uncom[pressed. The cameras in that range are about $100k and you would need about a terabyte of data to edit it. HDV is a compressed version of HD and some consider the format to be a "joke"

When DV came out it was a "joke" format as well if I remember. Or to an audiphiles consider "mp3" as joke becaue of the compression. The problem is that the way we watch media is changing, we no longer just sit in front of our radio or TV and get content, we are increasingly watching more of it online, on cell phones, listening to Ipods, etc, so the compression/quality doesn't matter too much anyway.

Until true HD equipment comes way down in price, HDV is here to stay, I personally like what I've seen so far with the picture from HDV cameras as opposed to my SD footage from my 3Chip SD camera.

The only joke is to say that HDV is a joke. If one can't see the difference in the images between DV and HDV than they must be Ray Charle's twin brother. This is not to say that HDV is as good as HD. HD is clearly the winner there but unless, and until, prices and size for HD drop down, HDV will be around for ,at least, the next 5 years.

Never the less, we all must remember that one must possess the shooting skills to make the best of any format. You can have the best high end gear out there and unless you know how to shoot, it will do you little good. I thought it odd that last week the History Channel used some of my footage for one of their productions. I kept thinking to myself as I watched, "But I have much better footage than that now". Some of what they used was shot in DV but, also, some of it was old Galapagos footage originally shot in Hi-8. I'd rather see a great shot in 8mm than a lousy one shot in HD. My 2 cents.
Steve:14:

Everyone from Howard Hall to Mike DeGruy to Mark Stanton and all in between say the same thing: it's not the camera, it's the shooter. I firmly agree.

That being said, I think it's a bit rediculous to say HDV is a joke; far from it. Just because HD-only channels are using high-end HD cameras doesn't mean that the other hundreds of channels aren't gladly accepting footage and programming using HDV technology. I personally know that Discovery has ordered near fleets of Z1s for their production crews in the last few months.

I say this with all respect and sincerity, my friend - I'm sure you're a great guy, so could you please elaborate on why you personally feel it's not up to snuff, because without any facts to back up your opinion I think dismissing this technology out of hand as a "joke" comes across as kinda big-production-house snobbish. (Which I'm sure you didn't intend.)

Ok, here's the defense. I have used the Z1U, a lot. I've shot interviews with it, concerts, documentaries. With that camera, it's a joke. If you shoot HDV on a HVX-200 or the XLH1, it's less of a joke. Sony has such a stonghold on the market, the majority of HDV footage that's shot, is done with the Z1U. HDV still has a long way to go before it's really there. Look at the XL2, it just came out last year and it's time is already passed. Pretty soon 2K will be the standard and Panavision will have a new Genesis.

I was at the unveiling of the Z1U by Sony last year, bundeled with it's "HDV" deck(what a waste of money). It's terrible for low-light conditions and if you shoot it in HDV mode(performs much better in dvcam mode) you get massive strobbing and ghosting if you have any sort of movement what-so-ever. It also has some completely pointless featured on it like onboard color correction. If I had to choose between the Z1U and the DVX or XL2, I would pick the panasonic or the canon, eventhough they are not HDV. It was a great idea, Sony just came out with it before it was ready and have yet to make a significant revision.

If you're going to shoot video, do it right, and I agree, it's not the camera that creates a beautiful image, it's the person behind it.

Billy

breals:
HD and HDV are two different standards.
sharksdelight:
This is not to say that HDV is as good as HD. HD is clearly the winner there but unless, and until, prices and size for HD drop down, HDV will be around for ,at least, the next 5 years.

HDV is HD. They're not two different things. HDV is a format for just like HDCAM, DVCPRO HD, D-5. All of these formats include various specifcations for resolution, frame rates, compression, etc. HDV uses a 25mbps data rate which is the same as DV. To fit the HD signal into this stream, HDV uses MPEG-2 to compress the video. MPEG-2 is used across the broadcast industry for compression. In fact, those of you who have ever watched an HD broadcast have seen MPEG-2 compression. Don't think when you're watching Discovery HD or ABC HD, you're watching an uncompressed signal.

I'm a freelance technical director for every broadcast network in the US. Today I was working on a HD broadcast for FOX- beach vollyball. We used the Z1 on that broadcast. There was no "massive strobing" or "ghosting" as Empty V has experienced and we had plenty of motion. I've also used the Z1 and FX-1 on broadcasts on ABC and ESPN, including this last Super Bowl.

Were you shooting in HDV mode or DVCAM mode? I like the FX1 much better then the Z. Saying that HDV will be around for the next 5 years is rediculous. If you saw the new cameras that are coming out in the next 2 years, such as the RedOne, then you would think twice about your prediction. 4K for $17,500. If this camera does what it is supposed to do, it will become the new standard in video resolution and tapeless acquisition due to the explosion that will hit the market. It's going to change the industry the way the DVX-100 and Final Cut Pro have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom