Compressor help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it look slike I have a Davey MC1a style compressor.

Does any one have any idea how slow I can turn this thing and then what hp electric motor I would need to do that? Also after derating it what psi would it pump to?

Russ

It would be good if you could post some pics of your compressor. A bauer K 15 which is about the size of a davy unit can beturned down to 900 rpm and will produce around 11 cfm. But, unless you plan on charging several tanks at once or filling air banks you are going to get very hot fills.
ZDD

Running the compressor slowly should not effect the output pressure it is capable of.

Do note what ZDD says - you will need a storage bank or multiple whips since filling a single tank directly from so large a compressor even if you slow it down a bit will result in too hot fill

So it look slike I have a Davey MC1a style compressor.

Does any one have any idea how slow I can turn this thing and then what hp electric motor I would need to do that? Also after derating it what psi would it pump to?

Russ

I have tanks to make into a bank. 6 of them.

So does any one know how much I can slow it down without causing damage? Would I be able to get away with a 7.5 hp motor?

I have a davey here but I have never put an electrical motor on it, but just judging from the size I would say a 7.5 would be too small. Your unit is aprox. the same size as a K-15. A K-15 with a 10 hp motor running at 900 rpm is as slow as I would dare run it, so I would say you look for a used 10 hp single phase. (I have one sitting on my shop floor but it is spoken for, sorry). and run it with that. gauge your pullies to run it at around 900 rpm and check your amperage draw when you get it running. You will need a 60 amp dedicated cercuit to run a 10 hp.

I have a davey here but I have never put an electrical motor on it, but just judging from the size I would say a 7.5 would be too small. Your unit is aprox. the same size as a K-15. A K-15 with a 10 hp motor running at 900 rpm is as slow as I would dare run it, so I would say you look for a used 10 hp single phase. (I have one sitting on my shop floor but it is spoken for, sorry). and run it with that. gauge your pullies to run it at around 900 rpm and check your amperage draw when you get it running. You will need a 60 amp dedicated cercuit to run a 10 hp.
if you think a K-15 is a good reference point than just do a search here and on decostop, there's a couple of threads dealing with derating it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom