Computer alternatives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilderydude83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Whats up, guys. I'm slowly but surely piecing together my diving equipment and I realized I don't want a console and I don't have enough money for a computer. I've found a really good regulator package on caveadventurers.com that comes with DR first and second stage regulators and an SPG. Now my friend recommended that I go that route and instead of buying a console use the SPG and buy a depth gauge watch of some sort. Is this a typical problem for newer divers with imcomplete setups? Any advice or gear recommendations?

ROBIBLER

I bought a console off Craigslist for $20 and used that with a $2 Walgreens watch until I got a computer.

haha well i suppose that works too.

I suppose more to the point, new bottom timers aren't any cheaper than new basic computers. I got my current computer on SB for under $100, and although it's 10 years old, it works just fine. Analog consoles are pretty cheap used, and unlike my friends who dumped hundreds on computers straight out of OW, I remember how to use tables.
I do dives that work out pretty well on tables though. I hear that there's some places where diving tables will shorten your dives in really quick order.

That makes sense to me. Perhaps I'll parooze ebay or something; afterall, this is my first time buying gear and I do remember how to chart dives. Thanks, dude.

Divers used tables, depth gauge and a waterproof watch for years, until the computer came along. It will work until you get enough saved up for a computer. Casio makes some good inexpensive waterproof watches, I think mine is called a G shock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom