Computer choices- different from St. Lawrence to Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,
I have a Vyper too, I haven't used it in computer mode yet (only gauge) as I'm new to the sport and my dives are miles from the NDLs. I usually check the tables first and I love the Vyper's dive logging features. If you want a computer go for it! If you go the table only route you still have a nice way to store your dives for accurate logging with a PC interface.

Have fun,
Craig

I've had my Vyper for three years now, and I would recommend it.. I use it for air and Nitrox.
I still use my tables, but the computer is excellent for multi-level dives. If used properly, I think computers make diving more fun and possibly safer.
Being able to download my profiles after the dive is another big plus.

Air_Miser:
Thanks for the comments all.

Tom- I know the tables pretty well, but I want a computer for the gains to be had on multi-level dives, and multi multi-level dives. I take it you're not a big fan, any particular reason? I understand and respect that they're not to be relied on, (i.e. throw away the tables and treat the computer as gospel) but used properly, seems there's much to be gained.

The bottom timer - computer debate has been discussed on this board many of time, You state that they are not to be relied on, why persue it any further you answered your own question.

The Vytec and the New Apex computer come with features like guage modes, and the stop watch feature on the
Apex is a sweet feature. I am now using a Stinger in guage mode, gives me a log feature, stop watch and a watch( which my wife refuses to believe I know how to use).
I also carry a Mares Bottom timer in my pocket. (If you dont have pockets, I know where you can get some).

There is nothing to be gained diving a computer as most of the older ones go into deco when they are in plain sight of water, and several computers have been recalled recently due to various problems and only after many of complaints.

It's your choice to dive a computer, if you have to still buy one look for these features,
  • Guage Mode
  • Stop Watch
  • Log Book
  • switch to Metric or Imperial
  • easy to use
  • long straps

artw:
I hear the Uwatec or the OMS equivalent pretty much wraps all of the above into a nice package. it's next on my list.
The Uwatec/OMS bottom timer doesn't have a stopwatch feature.

I have also heard that it is impossible to replace the batteries on them. When they are done they are done.

Anyone know if this is the case?

Wow, lots to digest, thanks for everyone who replied.

Luckily, I don't have the $ for a computer right now so lots of time to ruminate on the arguments!

Cheers,
Matt.

I have a Vytec and now wish I had that little crystal ball to see in the future and find out early enough that it is a very sophisticated log book.

If I could go back, I would probably buy the Stinger....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom