computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would personally like to address the following:

"Some suggest planning dives with the Dive Tables or a dive calculator as a contingency plan for computer diving. Because of the computer's capability for multilevel calculating, however, this practice usually is not feasible, although it is possible with some computers. Generally, you cannot revert to the Dive Tables if the computer fails or is accidentally switched off."

While on the way to the dive site knowing what the depth is that I will be diving I take my tables, be it air or nitrox, and plan a dive.

I will keep it simple.

Let us say the dive is at 80' and I plan the dive for 25 minutes as an air dive. I set up the parameters in my computer based on max depth and gas type.

I write down the plan on my slate. I look at my watch and record on the slate the dive start time.

I'm in my dive and notice my computer has crapped out on me. I've been down for 17 minutes according to my watch.

Now I ask you, pray tell me why I can't look at my watch and say, "Oh, my goodness, I've been down for 17 minutes! That means I have only 8 minutes left!"

What, may I ask, is wrong with this plan?

Well you no longer know how deep you are and you dropped your slate on the bottom (which was how deep?)? I think that NAUI quote is being read out of context - and it does say "generally"

rjchandler:
Well you no longer know how deep you are and you dropped your slate on the bottom (which was how deep?)? I think that NAUI quote is being read out of context - and it does say "generally"

Yes and you have to keep the audience in mind too. Many (maybe most) divers don't know and/or care how this stuff works enough to fall back to tables safely. There are differences in the model you need to account for and if you don't know how the model works you can't account for them. It's that simple. It's better (read safer) to tell people not to do it.

R..

RJ wrote:
"Well you no longer know how deep you are and you dropped your slate on the bottom (which was how deep?)? I think that NAUI quote is being read out of context - and it does say "generally"

. . . well, geez, what's my buddy for? Decoration????

The Kracken:
RJ wrote:
"Well you no longer know how deep you are and you dropped your slate on the bottom (which was how deep?)? I think that NAUI quote is being read out of context - and it does say "generally"

Did you get her from Shakazulu? :wink:

The Kracken:

And if you have a failiure following buddy separation or something else happens to cause them to separate ?

NEVER rely on a buddy being there. Assume the worst case.

Well, if we're going to generate scenarios for everthing that may go wrong on a dive, what happens if my tank explodes.

I think we need to come back to the realm of reality and probability.

After all, we can sit here and generate a hypothetical situation wherein no dive plan or gear configuration would be appropriate.

Buddy separation is one of the most common underwater mishaps, its not exactly rare.

The probability of that happening isnt low.

String:
And if you have a failiure following buddy separation or something else happens to cause them to separate ?

NEVER rely on a buddy being there. Assume the worst case.

Hi !

Sorry about this - as a 1st time poster, I've just read all 11 pages & think the thread has mutated sustantially since it started - WHO now CARES!

Anyway as you have lost your buddy ! are you not on the way to the surface anyway !

Pete

OK so Buddy separation and on the way to the surface. Your computer has crapped out and you were relying on the buddies.

You have stops to do.

How many? For how long? At what depths? How will you measure any of these without backup gauges and plans ?

Back
Top Bottom