Computer reads 1 ft at surface - normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spatty99

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a new Seac Screen dive computer (first computer I have purchased), and right out of the box it reads 1 foot while on the surface. Tested it in the pool (only 6 feet deep) and it consistently reads 1 foot too deep. I would expect some minor amount of tolerance underwater, but an error on the surface doesn't seem right. Is this error normal and within tolerance (and I'm just being OCD), or should I trying resetting, removing battery or replacement?

i mean, i wouldnt worry about a 1' error....

....however, i would be concerned about that error compounding as depth increases...i mean, if its 1' for every 6' of depth, that can add up pretty quick.

i would check the manual and see if there is a calibration mode, and then email the company and see what they say.

Right. How will it calc surface interval if it's still diving. Send it in.

No experience with that model, but is the altitude setting correct?
Wouldn't hurt to remove the battery as a test. I can't imagine it wouldn't reset to sea level.

I did a soft reset (via the watch screens, did not remove batteries) and now it is reading perfectly. 0 feet at the surface and within a few inches at depth down to 6 feet (bottom off pool). There are no altitude/pressure adjustments available on the watch.

I would still send an inquiry email to SEAC and keep the response. They may ask to send it in, or say everything is fine. If there is never an issue in the future, no problem. If you do have future issues, there is documentation stating it was like that when new. Little CYA in case you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom