Computer suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pilaar39

Reaction score
This has probably been asked a number of times, but there are so many posts here it would take me forever to read them all, so if you have been around a while and the asnwer is alread here, please point me to the appropriate post(s).

I am a newbie diver, with about 20 dives to date, all in the Florida/Caribbean area. I am looking for a dive computer, but have no idea where to start. I currently have my PADI OW cert, and hoping to get my AOW soon.

As I said, I know nothing about dive computers, so would appreciate what features and/or functions I should be looking for in a computer as a first time user.

I understand that there are wrist mounted and console mounted units.. what are the pros and cons of one vs the other? I should say that during my OW cert, I was lent a wrist compass and I lost it - so, was wondering if people lose wrist mounted computers. Also, my eyesight is not the best.. I need reading glasses to see stuff close up.. so maybe a wrist mounted computer might be too close for me, whereas a console mounted one could be moved back a bit for me to see better. Naturally, I would want one that has large numbers to make reading easier.

I do not even know what 'brands' are out there, or how they compare. If someone could post of list of brands, it would also help me in doing my investigation.

Thanks for your help!

You're going to get a lot of different answers on this one, '39.

Here's what I use and why: DataMax Pro Plus 2 - easy to read, EAN capable, numeric and graphic data, air intergrated. I like the console because I can tuck it away quite easily. I don't like having my dive computer waving around out there on my wrist where it can be damaged easily, especially in wrecks.

You'll get answers dealing with "liberal" and "conservative" dive modes, etc.

Most of it gets down to 1: the nature of the diving you will be doing, 2: Personal preferences for manufacturers, etc., 3: Personal budget.
Some of the responses will tell you that you are dimwit for considering a computer and that you should go striclty by the tables and so forth.

Lots of luck wading through it.

You also my want to try one of the masks with prescription lenses. I started off with the SeaVision "Gauge Reader". The lenses have a +2.00 diopter ground on them and make reading gauges for us old farts pretty easy. I've since had to go to a bifocal mask.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I just got back from my dive shop, where they were hosting an open house with various dealers on site. I spoke to the shop owner about a computer, and without hesitation, he recommended the Sherwood Wisdom. Said it was by far one of the best on the market. He was selling it for $850 Cdn - and said he would give me about $150 trade in on my current pressure and guage set towards the purchase. Unfortunately, he had very little data on the guage for me to look at.. suggested I go to the Sherwood website for complete details.

If anyone has any comments on the Wisdom, I would appreciate hearing from you.

btw.. with regard to the Guage Reader lens, I tried a set of those plastic/rubber dive optics that stick to the bottom of the dive mask.. hated them! Since they were at the bottom of the mask, I found looking at everything on the ocean floor blurry.. since that is where my eyes tend to go.. ie, the bottom of the mask. Also, they were only 1.5 power, and I found that without them, the water provided enough magnification to read my guages without problem.. as long as I held them far enough away from my old eyes! :)

scubatoys:
I'm not sure of the conversion rate - So 850 is how much US?? But a Wisdom with quick disconnect and compass with full warranty is $525 US.

Larry,
I have been going back-and-forth trying to decide between the Wisdom and the Atoms AI. I know that you state that the layout is better on the Atoms, but how do they compare from a features standpoint.... will they both do the same across the board?

What about reliability on both?

Can the user change batteries on both?

Also, buying through you... how are the warranties on both.

Thanks,
Tim

Hello Pilaar39

I have a Suunto Cobra console with air integration and a quick release coupling (makes it easier to keep the computer in safe place and out of harm's way).

The question whether to go for a console or wrist mounted computer took up quite some time for me as well. I went with the cobra because it had quite good reviews and offered air integration at a reasonable price.

The list of manufaturers is quite long:

- Uwatec
- Suunto
- Mares
- A. P. Valves
- Beuchat
- Citizen
- Cressi
- Dacor
- Diverite
- Oceanic
- Seeman Sub

and more (I just copied these names from on of the tests I have seen in a magazine)

I have so far never known anybody who lost a wrist mounted computer, must have been bad luck :wink:

scubatoys:
I'm not sure of the conversion rate - So 850 is how much US?? But a Wisdom with quick disconnect and compass with full warranty is $525 US.

$525 US is about $733 CDN at today's conversions rates. Add to that the taxes and brokerage fees we would need to pay to import it from the US and I am looking very close to $850 Cdn. ( if not more).

My shop has offered to take in my current guages as a trade in for the new one, so that would effectively cancel local taxes for me (and they are high: 15%)

Besides, I am a believer in buying the larger more expensive items locally.. if anything goes wrong with them, it is a simple 15 minute ride to the shop where they will fix or replace it for me without hassle. If I had to ship back to the US, there would be much more than time involved. Just last week on a dive, we lost the exhasust valve on the top of my wife's Luna BC inflator - I took it back to the shop and they are fixing it no charge or hassle.

Back to the computers.. the same shop also has the Sunnto Cobra on sale for $850 this month. hovever, not sure if it includes the compass module and the quick disconnect.

Again, as I said I am totally ignorant of dive computers, and would not know which is the better buy. If someone has some comparisons between the cobra and the wisdon.. or can point me to a web site with such, it would be greatly appreciated.

Btw.. when I mentioned the computer link and software, the dealer sort of rolled his eyes as if to say I don't really need it.. of about the last 40 customers that had bought computers, only one chose to buy the computer link and software.. and it was not cheap: around $300 Cdn. Even I thought that was a bit steep! So, another question would be do people use the computer link, and if so, why? I mean, it does not really substitute for the dive log does it.. you still need to transfer the data into you log book don't you?

Ok, I'll chime in here...

I have an Aeris Atmos 2, I bought it as a console. The computer interface is expensive and I hear the dive log is crappy so I didn't get it. After not that many dives I realized that the console was useless for the one thing that I really wanted to use it for which was the ascent rate meter. I pretty rapidly tore apart the console ($650) and put the computer on my wrist.

The computer itself is fine, nothing special. I do wish that I'd gone with a computer that had a more user friendly downloader. If I had it to do over I'd look at a Suunto computer, probably the Vyper.

I recommend a nitrox capable computer since you'll want that if/when you get your nitrox card. I don't recommend air integrated computers at all. If the computer fails, you have NOTHING, no depth, no pressure, no time. That would concern me.

The computer dive logs ARE dive logs. You can keep a paper back-up but there's nothing magical about the little books PADI gives you. My current log is an excel spreadsheet.

I know that you posted about having a longer dive than you planned and being concerned about saving yourself from accidental decompression. I would not look to a computer to save your bacon, you still have to learn how to plan the dive as if the computer wasn't there. "My computer still says I have time!" is not a reason to alter the plan mid-dive.

Rachel

If you are interested in the interface, you may want to consider Uwatec's Smart-Com. There is no additional software or hardware required (as long as you have an IR data port on your laptop or PC). It's a great machine, but is not as easy to operate as the Pelagics.

biscuit7:
The computer dive logs ARE dive logs. You can keep a paper back-up but there's nothing magical about the little books PADI gives you. My current log is an excel spreadsheet.
Rachel

Well, I have not been diving long, but last year we went to the Keys and the dive shop specifically asked to see our dive log to see what our experience level was. What do you do with your excel sheet? Is it acceptable by all dive shops? Do you not need to have a buddy or someone else verify and sign off each dive log entry?

pardon me if these sound like really newbie questions :babycrawl

BTW.. the dealer told me that this air integrated computer is 'failsafe' in that if the computer craps out, the gauge will still show the amount of air remaining in the tank. Mind you, I don't quite know how this would work if the battery dies! Gonna have to ask some more questions on that one.

Actually, it would be interesting statistically, to know how many people with dive computers have had them fail on them during a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom