Computer virus: worm_msblast dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
I have now deleted them and this is what the log had to say:

When I delete it is it totally gone or is it like a weed where a bit of the root gets stuck and it still causes trouble?
No, I want to remove this file from my computer.

It's gone (not really, but it can't resurrect itself solo), but your vulnerability still exists to get re-infected until you patch or close some TCP ports.

ya, agreed. update your antivirus list. Then look out for updates about the virus on your AV provider's site (they will tell you if you need to do anything extra) if you want.

justleesa:
For all you computer savvy folks out there. Ran our routine scan last night (those things take forever!) and it showed that we have worm_msblast dam on our computer. My software tells me the virus is quarantined, are we safe?
You're safe. There should be a delete option on the quarrantine folder, and you can delete it if you want, however, if you don't want to bother, it's not critical to do so, since if you try to get it out of quarrantine the AV software will just grab it again.

I surfed the net and found there should be a MS patch, tried to download it and it says that we have a more current version and can't DL it.

Run "Windows Update" from your start menu. If it's not there, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

It will make sure that your computer is patched with all the current patches. If you haven't done this before, you may need to run it several times until it stops finding patches for you. (Some patches require other patches, so the first time you run it, you may have to do it a few times.)

Never download Windows patches from anywhere except http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Once you do this, Go to Start Menu -> Settings-> Control Panel and select "Automatic Updates" and make sure it's set to automatically update by itself. That way you won't have to worry if your system is current, and you should be immune from the more popular threats.

Also check your Antivirus software and make sure it's set for "Automatic Updates" also.

Now what?
Now nothing. Everything is fine! Your Antivirus software did it's job!

Ya know, I don't know how it could have snuck (is that a word?) on as we never open attachments, never open things from people we don't know, always update the current MS and virus protection stuff. How could this have happened?
Blaster comes in uninvited directly from the internet via a bug in Microsoft's networking software ("DCOM", although there's no reason you would know this)

You can prevent this and many other similar problems by installing a router like the Linksys BEFS41, or other similar products, between your cable modem or other internet connection and your PC, even if you only have 1 PC.

This will greatly reduce potential problems, since it won't allow any incoming connections unless your computer has specifically requested them. More specifically, it gives your computer an address that is completely inaccessible from the internet, unless the router has already handled a request from your computer and is waiting for a response. Other than that, you're invisible.

You should be able to pick up a router for around $40. an added benifit is you can plug in additional computers to it and share your connection.

Terry

Web Monkey:
blah blah blah computer blah blah blah virus blah blah blah Microsoft blah blah...

Terry

What HE said! :D

Thanks for the info Web Monkey! interesting. This router will aide me in my quest for world domination...:cyborg:

chip104:
This router will aide me in my quest for world domination...:cyborg:
24.gif

Thanks for the speedy help everybody ( and for the giggles :D ).

I have taken care of what I could and wrote to my AVP company to tell me where to find the spot to block the stuff that Steve suggested. I double checked the updates for my AVP and MS (directly from MS as Terry suggested :wink: ) and am up to date. I guess that takes care of it...thanks again!!!

Do you have a router? I didn't get the clear idea if you do or not...

If so, and assuming you know how to get into your routers setup page, you might look for a page or a tab marked "advanced", or even something that looks like "firewall".

You may have some options to block ports, choose the ones mentioned above, just be sure you're not forwarding the ports...you've got to block them.

Another piece of advice (not totally related to this problem), if possible, stop using Internet Explorer. It's a slice of swiss-cheese software, and MS is continually trying to fill the holes. Take a look at firefox from mozilla.org...fewer holes, more eyes.

undrwater:
Another piece of advice (not totally related to this problem), if possible, stop using Internet Explorer. It's a slice of swiss-cheese software, and MS is continually trying to fill the holes. Take a look at firefox from mozilla.org...fewer holes, more eyes.

Firefox rocks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom