Condensate bleeding from third stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Bauer Mariner II compressor with Securus filter. I am not a compressor expert, so I am looking for some advice. The compressor is self-draining and usually it drains into a one gallon jug behind the compressor.

When the compressor shuts down it normally bleeds excess pressure from the third stage. Today I noticed a small amount of moisture (condensate?) draining from the third stage. Should I be concerned? What should I do to fix this (we are in Panama, so a Bauer technician is a long way off)?

The Securus filter was recently replaced (50 hours ago) and today was a very humid day.

Are you saying that it bleeds while running? If so, the seat in the drain block is probably scored. Usually the seat can be turned over to resolve the problem. I won't have access to a computer for the rest of the day to answer your reply.

Craig

Are you saying that it bleeds while running? If so, the seat in the drain block is probably scored. Usually the seat can be turned over to resolve the problem. I won't have access to a computer for the rest of the day to answer your reply.

Craig

Thanks Craig. I only saw it bleeding AFTER the compressor shut down and was bleeding air from the third stage, not while it was running. Usually all the condensate drains automatically into the condensate drain.

This could be the check valve between the final separator and the filter tower not sealing. This check valve prevents air from the filter tower(s) from bleeding back into the final separator and thus out the drain block when the machine shuts down. Left long enough, it will drain the filtration system down to zero. If your machine has auto restart, the unit will start very shortly after shut down if the main switch is left in the "on" position. The pressure switch usually has a 400-500 psi differential between cut out and allowing the machine to restart. If this is the case, the repeated restarts are called "cycling" and will cause excessive wear to the contacts in the motor starter, leading to excessive amperage draw when the machine starts. This could create arcing in the starter and a horrendous sound that may cause you to think the motor is burnt out. If the contacts are "burnt" enough, it could cause the main breaker to pop or if you have a fused disconnect, it will start blowing fuses.

Craig

As Craig said you MIGHT have a problem. Look at the way the compressor is plumbed; on mine (old military machine) the plumbing is made in such a way that the draining and the unloading are done both from through the same pipe (I guess to prevent water freezing in the separator during storage).

Thanks Craig. I only saw it bleeding AFTER the compressor shut down and was bleeding air from the third stage, not while it was running. Usually all the condensate drains automatically into the condensate drain.

The last two days the symptoms have not returned. Filled the same number of tanks, ran the compressor the same number of hours. The only difference (and I am not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it shouldn't) is the day I saw the condensate, it was EXTRENELY humid and we did have a lot of rain.

I also check the condensate drain and it seems to be operating normally, the condensate is draining into the jug at a normal rate.

That's good. Maybe there was something stuck in the check valve that has been passed through. In any case you now have an idea of what to look for if the situation occurs again and doesn't fix itself.:wink:

Craig

Back
Top Bottom