Confused about the whole Snorkel thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I have found this discussion pretty entertaining - not as many flame/religious wars as usual. I never used to carry a snorkel. Then I dove in Belize one winter. During the SI, a pod of very curious dolphins showed up. Everyone with a snorkel - about 3/4 of the boat - donned fins, mask, and snorkel and dove in to play. There I was without one. Tried without one for a few minutes, but it just wasn't working too well. The dolphins stayed around until the end of the SI, then disappeared as quickly as they showed up. Since then I ALWAYS have one in my bag "just in case".

Five pages of discussion is a good thing, and I never felt you made any implication that it wasn't - it struck me as just an observation about Scubaboard - where 5 pages is a small topic.

----

Five pages of snorkel discussion is about 4 more pages than is covered in the average OW manual - and that coverage is usually more about marketing and snorkel selection with a paragraph devoted to detailing how to attach it to a mask strap. What's usually notably absent is any discussion of why it's used, or the pros and cons of wearing a snorkel on the mask.

That will be because of the OW assumption that you must carry a snorkel, therefore no discussion is needed. So rather than tell you why and when it is a good or bad thing, there is simply no discussion at all.

As I said before my choice is to have one on my mask as it suits my own diving but I can fully see the reasons why others might not want or need them. In fact I can see how, in some circumstances it could be detrimental

Personally I think that the important thing is people make informed decisions about their gear rather than following the herd. Coming here to ask people with more experience or experience in different conditions can only be positive imho.

Personally I think that the important thing is people make informed decisions about their gear rather than following the herd.

When I go to a new, to me, area to dive, I find out what gear the herd there is using. Dependent on the reasons the give me, I may very well may going along with the herd, if their reasoning is sound. When in Rome..., as long as the Romans I meet aren't knuckleheads.

Bob

When I go to a new, to me, area to dive, I find out what gear the herd there is using. Dependent on the reasons the give me, I may very well may going along with the herd, if their reasoning is sound. When in Rome..., as long as the Romans I meet aren't knuckleheads.

Bob

Lol I know what you mean.

But at least you are making an informed decision (albeit based on their experience) rather than simply "the instructor said this" or "He has this gear therefore I must copy it exactly" which seems fairly common.

Snorkle might be the cheapest bit of gear you buy...get one, try it, and decide for yourself.

To the OP, I shore dive quite a bit in Florida, and use a snorkel for that. It can be a long swim (1/4 to 3/4 mile) out to the desired reef. Obviously, I don't want to use my breathing gas for that. I could swim on my back, but due to our clear water I like swimming flat and face down to see what is below. This also makes for easier swimming (more efficient trim), and also easier to follow my compass bearing to and from the reef. So, a snorkel is great. I use a roll-up type (XS Cargo) with a quick clip. When I get to the reef, I take it off, put it in my pocket, and do the dive. Does not interfere with my long hose that way. I can breathe my tank down to my reserve out on the reef, then surface, put on the snorkel, and back to shore. If a chop has blown up during the dive (that happens regularly), swimming on the back all the way to shore would be miserable, so the snorkel keeps things much easier and more pleasant (and safer too). So, for you, I think it is a good thing to have. if you don't dive long hose, you can just leave it on for the entire dive--even easier.

Don't know about lakes, but if there is a cool wreck in the middle of the lake, and the lake is large, and you want to swim out and drop down as opposed to using gas to get there, same principle.

On my boat dives, it is always in my pocket. If I surface in rough seas and have to wait for the boat, I clip off my reg, use the snorkel to keep breathing easy and no water gulping, and when the boat arrives I am immediately ready to climb the ladder. If, god forbid, I ever got left and had to swim to shore, or be in the water many hours, in a chop or rough seas, the snorkel would change from a nice convenience to essential survival gear.

So, one is always with me, even if it might not be on my mask all the time.

Another silly reminder, mainly for the new guys asking about using a snorkel in and out to your dive location. Make sure you also have an SMB deployed so you can be seen and hopefully not ran over by a boat.

That depends quite a lot on the location. In my neck of the woods, that's not a very relevant issue.

I do carry a dSMB regularly, though, both because my boat tender prefers it - it's a lot easier to spot that orange phallus sticking out of the water than a couple of small, black heads - and in case I get carried away by current (for the same reason).

Your are exactly right, of course you would not need your SMB if you were snorkeling around from site to site in your favorite quarry. But if you happen to be in a "busy" ocean/lake area and you are going to snorkel a half mile out to your favorite dive spot, you would want to have your SMB deployed then.

Your are exactly right, of course you would not need your SMB if you were snorkeling around from site to site in your favorite quarry.

I have never dived in a quarry. And I hardly ever snorkel.

Do you have more unbased assumptions?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom