Conshelf 1st stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuoyantC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've acquired an older version of a USD Conshelf . It has been unused for a long time and did not appear to have had much use. During a rebuild, with the "fingernail test", it seemed to have an almost imperceptible nick in the crown which is non replaceable on this model.

I decided to assemble it and see if it would seat in. I did, and adjusted fine on a 500psi tank, but on a full tank the intermediate pressure creeps.

Anyone have a method to save this first stage?

Thanks,

On some of the older DA Aquamsters (also a non replaceable orifice) some divers have had decent luck polishing out any nicks with a pencil eraser. I'd suggest posting this in the single hose forum at Vintage Double Hose or in the vintage/sea hunt forum here on scubaboard as it tends to be vintage divers who encounter this problem more often.

I have polished orifices by streching a length of very fine (800 or if I got it 1500 grit) sand paper over the end of a 7/16 wood dowel and slowly rotating it a few truns, so far it's worked OK. AL recommended a 7/16 with polishing tool in one of the DA manuals but I have no idea where to find one, the dowel and sand paper work for me. You can find the really fine sand paper in auto body refinishing supply stores. If you can't find a 7/16 dowel, sanding down a 1/2 one will do. You end up polishing out the internal area of the reg when doing this but I see this as a plus. Be sure to clean the body really well after the polishing.

Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if flattening the crown edge would allow it to seat in. I suppose if it is very minimal it should be okay. I'm not taking out much of a nick. Regardless, it's worth a try. If it doesn't work, well.... it's not like I ruined anything!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom