Conshelf 20 2nd stage parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgbmatt

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to order an overhaul kit for my spare regulator (an old Conshelf 20) yesterday. But apparently (according to the Aqualung sales rep) parts are available for the 1st stage, but not the 2nd, and I should "get a new reg because it can't be fixed".

So... Is this really true? Should I just dive it until it finally dies and then throw it out? Or are there equivalent parts out there that I could substitute? Although I haven't looked much at other Conshelf models, I'd be surprised if they were all that different.

The reg still works great, and I have no plans on retiring it, especially since it's a spare and I don't use it for anything particularly demanding.

rgbmatt:
I tried to order an overhaul kit for my spare regulator (an old Conshelf 20) yesterday. But apparently (according to the Aqualung sales rep) parts are available for the 1st stage, but not the 2nd, and I should "get a new reg because it can't be fixed".

So... Is this really true? Should I just dive it until it finally dies and then throw it out? Or are there equivalent parts out there that I could substitute? Although I haven't looked much at other Conshelf models, I'd be surprised if they were all that different.

The reg still works great, and I have no plans on retiring it, especially since it's a spare and I don't use it for anything particularly demanding.
You know, I was ready to scoff at the rep, until I read the front of one of my Conshelf 2nd stage overhaul kits. It mentions virtually all other models except a 20. I have never owned one, so I don't know for certain if it compatible or not. After all, this same kit works for the XI, the XII, the Aquarius, Calypso and other older metal 2nds. But the 20 is not mentioned.

However, I feel compelled to pass on this bit of wisdom:

"I am quite sure God intended single hose regulators to have chrome plated brass second stages. I have not yet been able to tie the rise of plastic cased second stages to the Axis of Evil, Ossama Bin Laden or any other threat to national security and the American way of life, but I'm working on it."
DA Aquamaster

Buy an older XIV, Aquarius or Calypso 2nd, and jump on the metal 2nd bandwagon. :wink:

OR, send it to me :) I will make sure that the regulator is properly disposed of.

Off topic: I recently traded my Dacor Olympic 200 for a XIV 2nd stage that was being used as a display in a dive shop in Wichita. When I was walking out, the kid watching the store(maybe all of 21) asked me, "So, what are you wanting that for? Are you collecting them?"
"No, I dive with them," I said.
I got the most intense blank stare.

After disassembling the thing this afternoon and fastidiously comparing it to other USD reg models, it seems as though my 20 2nd stage is identical to the Conshelf 21. So servicing it will be easy :)

I know what you mean about brass regs - I typically dive a metal Poseidon and plastic regs feel weird. But it's handy as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom