Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well,

My Conself14s showed up and passed the tech inspection. The Oct was a plastic US Dives second stage and it had some cracks in the housing where the LP hose enters. It doesn't leak though so I should be able to use it for a little while. (Is there any harm in putting a little epoxy in the cracks to help patch the problem before it starts leaking?)

I dove the set last night and they worked great. I had WAY too much weight and struggled the first dive a lot. We had a long surface swim and I had to work my ass off to stay stable at the surface with my BP/W setup. The second dive I got my weight much closer to being correct. It made life much easier. Although my back hurt so much after the first dive I had trouble sleeping last night.

Over all I am really happy with my $165 investment.
The cracks you mentioned were a cause of a recall back in the day for the regs with the plastic boxes. I personally would try to replace that and not try to epoxy it.
I have picked up brass Conshelf 14s second stages for 20 bucks on eBay. that would be the way to go. End of problems for cracking.

let's put it in simple terms:

I'm looking for a conshelf that has 2 hp ports.

Simple!

But I think it's not available in Malaysia. That's the diffficult part here. Too bad for me. :(

I'll answer in simple terms:

The conshelf SEA is the only one.

Where can I find the Yoke to DIN 300 for a conshelf 21. I was looking for a coldwater reg but after reading this thread I may stick with the 21 if I can find a converter.

Where can I find the Yoke to DIN 300 for a conshelf 21. I was looking for a coldwater reg but after reading this thread I may stick with the 21 if I can find a converter.

My LDS had them in stock for my Conshelf XIV, they are still available through Aqualung dealers. I believe the same one would fit a 21.

On another topic, I skimmed through this post and was just wondering, is there any difference between the XIV 1st stage and a Conshelf 21 first stage, besides having one more port drilled and threaded?

On another topic, I skimmed through this post and was just wondering, is there any difference between the XIV 1st stage and a Conshelf 21 first stage, besides having one more port drilled and threaded?

They are the same internally.

As you said there is one more LP 3/8" port and the HP port is now 7/16".
The LP ports are now arranged that it is possible to have the inflator hose above the HP hose.
The 21 is, in my view, the best Conshelf for hose routing.
Earlier models had fewer LP ports and 3/8th HP ports.
Later models went to at least 1 1/2" LP hose...SE2, or even all 1/2" ...SE.
Someone correct me, but I think the 22 went back to the all 3/8" arrangement. Was the SE3 or the 22 the last Conshelf?.....apart from the 14 that is still in limited production.

Re: Hose routing.

Add an right angle adapter to the Conshelf 14 for the inflator hose and the hose routing seems OK to me. The HP port leads the HP hose down under the left arm (and fits just fine with the 7/16 to 3/8 adapter AND a Scubapro QD), one LP port points down and to the right arm so that the octopus hose runs under the right arm, and with the adapter, the inflator hose runs flat along the shoulder to the BC inflator instead of arcing up (and straining the hose/fitting junction on the inflator hose). The 3/8 to 7/16 adapters aren't very bulky. It's perhaps not as streamlined as it might be but it works fine.

Of course, the OP was asking about 2 HP ports so this won't fix that problem. :)

I routinely see Conshelf XII's and XIV's in addition to the newer variants come through the shop for service. Essentially the major difference bewteen models is the port arrangements with some differences in the number of Lp ports and hose sizes. Internally they are essentially identical and take the same annual service kit.

What is the chance you might have two LP port allen screws and one HP port screw for a Conshelf 21, AKA, SE2 ?

As you said there is one more LP 3/8" port and the HP port is now 7/16".
The LP ports are now arranged that it is possible to have the inflator hose above the HP hose.
The 21 is, in my view, the best Conshelf for hose routing.
Earlier models had fewer LP ports and 3/8th HP ports.
Later models went to at least 1 1/2" LP hose...SE2, or even all 1/2" ...SE.
Someone correct me, but I think the 22 went back to the all 3/8" arrangement. Was the SE3 or the 22 the last Conshelf?.....apart from the 14 that is still in limited production.

The 22 is what I use. It has 4 LP (3/8") and 1 HP (7/16"). The first stage that is from the 21/22 is one of the only true conshelf first stages (IE not an SEA) that will run a drysuit without one of those crappy multi-port adapters.

The 21 is the same first stage as the 22 with a different second stage as per the USD manual.

The 21 is the same first stage as the XIV, 20, and 22 as far as port spacing, so they are all the same for hose routing. The XIV/20 only has 3 LP and 1 3/8" HP, the 21/22 has 4 LP and 1 HP (7/16").

You gotta love those conshelves.

.....I might be being pedantic here but the hose routing is not the same. In the 14 and 20 the HP hose will rout above the inflator hose and on the 21, SE, SE2, SE3 and 22 you can have the HP hose under the inflator hose (a little neater). Yes, the meat of the 1st stage is identical in all these models the only variation is the finish, number, size and spacing of the ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom