Converting SL4 Xenon > LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Brandon,
Care to explain why you want to use 2 spacers to make it 6mm?

Here's what you need:

• 1" diameter conductive metal headset spacers, 6mm tall. I used 2x 3mm aluminum spacers because that's what I found on eBay. (These were about $2.50 each with shipping)
I'll give ya a hint :wink:

-B

6mm height is needed for the spacer to touch the contact point on the body of the SL4.

with the oring mounting design to make contact with the negative strap i bent a piece of shim steel 90' that slips into the return strap mount with the angle end running 5mm into the centre of the housing. a rubber washer sits on the top battery to stop it shorting on strap extension.

My switch on my SL4 broke after about 3 months of heavy weekend use. Just got it back repaired... I wasn't using the spacer before, but I'll try it now. Spring put too much load on the switch I think. Anyone else have the same problem?

My switch on my SL4 broke after about 3 months of heavy weekend use. Just got it back repaired... I wasn't using the spacer before, but I'll try it now. Spring put too much load on the switch I think. Anyone else have the same problem?

I did this mod to my SL4 and I am certainly impressed by the light output.

I found out that I got best results using Duracell batteries. I tried Eveready alkalines but the shape of the battery canister bottom was not quite compatible with the mechanics of the switch on the SL4 and I had a few issues with the switch not working reliably. I had to wiggle the switch a bit to get it to make proper contact and it was a bit iffy.

By going back to the Duracells, no problems at all.

Has any one got any idea if there is a CREE unit available for the Mini Q40. I had a look at Dealextreme but could not find one with a diam small enough to fit the Q40. I need a unit with an outside diam of 24mm and length of 30mm.

Cheers

Joe

Matey - had the same trouble with energisers.... a small dab of solder on the -ve terminal of the battery fixed that!

i believe the q40 mod involves cutting down the 26mm drop ins to fit...

dealextreme also has 18mm reflectors...

cheers,

At the risk of sounding like an idiot....

Would the Cree q5 module that you guys were upgrading your SL4's with work on an SL6?

Yep matey it will - should work better actually....

the voltage you get from an SL6 is higher, so the units
will adjust to use less current, giving you a longer burn time...

same brightness though.

cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom