Converting SL4 Xenon > LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know what the diameter of the original SL4/6 reflector is or can post the measurement?

Give it a try - my concerns would be that 10 watts is a bit too much heat to dissipate in the small space, and at close to 3 amps the batteries will also get quite warm....

my R2's are still going strong....

Finally got all the bits to do some of these, I did two one blue and one yellow, bought the shells from someone that took the LED modules out of some eLED SL4's to put into some halycon scouts, so I got two one blue one yellow.

I used the R2 modules from deal extreme and one of their 2 packs of two 35mm reflectors. The reflectors just fit, it's a little tight and I had to bevel the edge of the plastic case to get them to fit in right but they fit fine. Here's some photos.

Photos compare the 26.5mm to the 35mm reflector. I bought the $9 R2 modules and took them apart and put the parts in the 35mm reflector. I was hoping I could just unscrew the pill from the 26.5mm and screw it into the 35mm but that didn't work out as the thread size was different so I had to unsolder the parts and remove the LED w/ it's board and move everything over to the other pill. Works great though, was going to try to take some beamshots. It has about the same width as the Xenon modules that I have for these lights, but much brighter.

Attachments

• 24mm and 35mm.jpg
    24mm and 35mm.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 35mm R2_1.jpg
    35mm R2_1.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 35mm R2_2.jpg
    35mm R2_2.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 229
  • SL4 R2_1.jpg
    SL4 R2_1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 208
  • SL4 R2_2.jpg
    SL4 R2_2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 196
Can you provide the DX Sku for the 35mm that you ordered? This looks like a good way to go, just order the reflectors, LED and Board, and build some up with XP_E's!

Here is the one I used: DealExtreme: $5.98 35mm*35mm Aluminum Textured/OP Reflector for Cree LED Emitters (2-Pack)

Mine came with an aluminum pill with a small copper ridge where the driver gets soldered in place. It is a bit longer than the other one and as a result the top of some of my C batts (one nearest the module) got smashed in a little. I also had to bevel the plastic edge of the case a little to get it to go in far enough to screw down the cap on it which screws all the way down now except about 1/16th of an inch or so.

SKU is for 2, I don't think they sell them individually.

D'oh!

Ordered my 35mm reflectors some weeks ago, and they arrived yesterday....
(wish i had known the pills don't fit)

Never mind - it looks like they will fit well enough if the reflector is cut down...
also looks like the hole for the LED could do with a slight enlargement...

will publish results...

cheers,

I think this one from kaidomain would work better since it isn't as long as the one from dealextreme. The DE one is 35mm long whereas this one is 28mm and has the same brass pill that the 26.5mm drop-in units come with, or so the picture looks like it does. My guess is you could just unscrew the pill from the 26.5mm and screw it into the 35mm reflector with the KD one. Link is here, it's almost 2x as expensive though at $5 each and was just $6 for 2 at DE, but still really cheap.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=8334

Back
Top Bottom