Copyright free music for DVDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The right music makes such a big difference for video productions but I do worry a bit about copyright issues of using music. So I am searching for music which doesn't have copyright restrictions. I was recently told about a site that has lots of music that is free of copyright: Jamendo : Home
I have found some stuff on this site that is quite good (but there is a lot of not so good stuff to wade through as well)

Does anyone else have any sites they could recommend?

Have also wondered about the 'do it yourself' approach. I have heard some music produced on Apple Garage Band software which sounded pretty good. I don't have a Mac so I am wondering if anyone has experience with Sony Acid Studio?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks for those links. I figured the topic had been discussed before but when I used the "Has this question been asked before?" function it came up with no matches.

I'll have a close look at the links but if anyone has any other advice to add that would be great too. Would particularly like to know more about the software option for creating your own music. How does this work, how easy is it etc?

As discussed before, you are wise to be careful. Ripping professional produced cd's and using the music for a few DVD's to share with friends and family is probably safe. In other words, they are probably not going to turn you in. However, broadcasting you videos by posting on the web, is another thing. Every once in a while you hear about the recording industry going after someone to make an example out of them. Oh, and made them pay a heavy price in the process.

Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use - washingtonpost.com

Bottom line, if the music isn't yours, either get written permission or don't use it.

Having said that, I have used both Garage Band:

Joe's Tug

and Sony Acid

Grand Cayman East End Dive Report on Vimeo

to make my own music for my videos. So much more time consuming, but really much more satisfying, not to mention the peace of mind.

You are right Marshall. Making your own music is way more satisfying.

The various software packages make it easier, but by no means easy. Making something good that really adds to the video takes time.

Are software programs like Sony Acid Studio able to produce music of a 'classical' nature, or maybe 'ambient' style music?

There are so many different Acid loops, I just went through them until I found what I was looking for. I believe there are classical loops and ambient loops.

Are software programs like Sony Acid Studio able to produce music of a 'classical' nature, or maybe 'ambient' style music?

Hi Steve, just had a quick look at the Sonic Fire Pro website. Do you use the Standard Edition? (Doesn't sound like I would need the Network Edition). The additional music discs sound interesting, but not cheap! Do you use them yourself, or do you just make your own music with the software?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom