Coral Bleaching in the Andaman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Similans are doing well...the growth has been happening fast...but still visibly affected. So if you noticed this last year, you'll see changes, but not a total recovery.

Indonesia was not affected - except potentially Northwest Sumatra. This was the result of an event called "Reverse Indian Ocean Dipole" which is basically a La Nina for the Indian ocean. This year the far side of the Indian is expected to have a similar problem - high enough temperatures to affect coral. The area around Bali is far, far removed from these conditions.

That's really interesting Turtle diver, can you explain where and how you are involved in coral restoration work around Samui and Koh Tao, since compared to last year, the coral seems to be doing just fine. You'll be hard pressed to find bleached coral right now, imho

Especially since the water temperatures are back to 'normal' as well this year, compared to last year.

That's really interesting Turtle diver, can you explain where and how you are involved in coral restoration work around Samui and Koh Tao, since compared to last year, the coral seems to be doing just fine. You'll be hard pressed to find bleached coral right now, imho

Especially since the water temperatures are back to 'normal' as well this year, compared to last year.

A few of the dive schools on Samui have been doing it since last year - I think it was around April when we started. We'd been focussing on the shore just off of Maenam - basically once a month a few people assess the area and see what the coral situation is. On a few occassions a few of us have joined in to find "healthy" yet detached pieces of coral and then transport them to a house in Maenam where they are currently trying to grow it - I say grow it - I think that's what they do I don't know much about what they do with it.

If you are interested in more details I can send you the number of one of the divers who has been leading the project.

Back
Top Bottom