Cost of dive equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out SCUBA New York
Learn to Scuba Dive | Scuba Classes New York | Scuba Certification NYC | Scuba Certification Westchester
The owners of that shop are active on this forum, and they look to have nice set up.
I live in Albany, and my local shop is more then likely to far for you to drive.
You may want to do the 'confined water' (aka pool dives) skills and class room work locally, and then do a 'referral' where the local shop transfers your info to a shop in the Caribbean to do your ocean dives.

You could go to key largo for several hundred dollars each... basic as in basic training? If you do all the Open Water training locally you would do your OW dives in a quarry or lake... not the most fun in my opinion...

I would definitely not try to begin spearfishing immediately has a new diver. There's a lot of task loading just getting the basics down.

Learn to dive, see what you see, and then decide to add spearfishing.

I know nothing of spear gun costs. But take that away and divide it by 2 and you have significantly more that I did starting out. I bought most stuff used, though.

As a 3rd Year diver, I would say slow down and pump the breaks. At this point you don't know what you like. You should be able to get mask, boots, and fins for 100 to 200, depending on the quality. I believe 800 to get certified is high, I paid 175 each for myself, wife, and 2 daughters each through an independent instructor. We did have to pay another 200 or so total for a room and food at the only lake clear enough to dive in Oklahoma. All instruction was 1 instructor to the 4 of us. You might run a craigslist add or ask around this site as well.

I agree with leaving the spear gun alone for a bit. Work on buoyancy first and get that down pat before trying anything...including photography.

Once you are certified and convinced diving is for you. Rent, borrow, beg, multiple types and brands of BCs and buy the type you want. If "Basic" means basic training, you may end up somewhere with warm water, that makes a difference on your type of exposure protection. I'm good with a 3 mil full....in your neck of the woods....not so much.

I went nuts after my first breath underwater and started assembling 4 complete sets of equipment. The jacket type BCs for all.....now one daughter does not really like it, and one does not have time (and hates diving local). I upgraded my jacket type to a better one, then bought a Transpac, then found a great deal on a backplate/wing combo. I'd be $700 ahead if I would have just gone with the backplate or Transpac to begin with.

My point is, you don't know enough to know what is best for you right now. You would be money ahead renting or borrowing for a bit before you buy anything but basic equipment. By the way....diving in Cozumel is cheap if you can find cheap airfare.

Good luck and safe travels. If basic does mean military, thanks in advance for your service.

Jay

Instead of spending $1700 on just OW training for the two of you, you might as well fly to Cozumel and do it there in the warm blue waters.

If you find that you don't like scuba , spend the rest on your vacation in cancun...

With 3+ years of military service in your future, I think I would go for freeriding from shore until you see where the military sends you. Add a speargun if our want. I doubt if you could find a place with worse prices.

Back
Top Bottom