Cost of GUE/DIR training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And maybe that's why we have younger divers with makeshift sidemounts exploring caves with no real training.
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm a young diver (22) who's diving a makeshift SM rig. Since it's not even close to DIR I'll limit my explanation in this area of the board, but I wanted a SM kit that was nearly identical in all ways to back mount, except what was absolutely necessary to change. This ensures that I keep muscle memory the same between various styles of diving. Trust me, I *wish* halcyon would make a SM kit, even if it were $600. There's several issues I've hit with buddy diving on bigger Sm dives, which hopefully I can solve with more thought.

Of course they've done studies about how people are terrible at doing this kind of math -- they'll penny pinch and buy some $10 chinese piece of crap over a $20 quality thingamabob, while $100 extra for something useless on a $2500 flat screen TV doesn't bother them.

So true. I admit it for myslef too (maybe not for the flatscreen) !
But we shouldn't complain, some of that consumer behavior is paying our diving :D

And a lot of tech divers are over 40 simply because at that age you can afford to do it...

Maybe that 40 limit has more to do with mid age crisis :rofl3:

Any chance you could break down the 4 days for me?

How much Theory and how many days "in water"?

My class looks to be 1 day theory (3 nights is about 1 day) and 2 days "in water" which is starting to look very light on content and time to master (or at least get a grip on) skills....

i think it used to be 3 days. it's 4 now

My class looks to be 1 day theory (3 nights is about 1 day) and 2 days "in water" which is starting to look very light on content and time to master (or at least get a grip on) skills....

it's definitely tight on time. if you're looking to get a tech pass you need to be ready to go or be a fast learner. only one of us got a tech pass in my class

My class was four days (this was over three years ago). First day was mostly all lecture, plus swim test, and a few hours diving in a pool. Days 2-4 all included substantial time in the water, plus video debrief, and some lecture. We were at a quarry which made in/out easier, and I believe we got in something like 10 dives (where a dive = >30 minute BT then decent SIT, sometimes done in the water). The four days were done back-to-back (which I liked; totally understand why others prefer to have a weekend break between).

Hmmm I just went digging into the GUE site again.

The course outline for Fundies states:

"The GUE Fundamentals class must be conducted over at least four full days"

Last edited:

You should ask your instructor how long it will be. My class was less than half as long as some of the others described. So it's fair to say it varies.

I would suggest that any questions or concerns about the schedule, etc. for your class would be best addressed by your instructor. Different environments/locales may require different schedules or class logistics that could be influenced by any number of factors.

Have fun and enjoy your class. Don't get wrapped up before or during the class with worrying about tech pass vs. rec pass vs. other... At the end of the day the real value in the course is the time and feedback that you have in the water. Especially with access to a local instructor, it should be no big deal to follow-up after some more practice if that is what is needed to meet your goals.

Regards,
-Rob

As I have said before, my Full Cave class cost me $800 in tuition; Cave 2 was $2000. It was one day longer. It was a more rigorous class, and had more academics, but although I don't regret having taken it, I think I'd have to be creative to come up with $1200 worth of additional benefits I got from the class, compared with the other one.

So Lynne, just out of curiosity, why did you take the GUE class to begin with? Did you think you would get $1200 more out of it, but didn't?

The way I see it, if you think you can find training that is at least as good for less, then take that training. If you think you can find training that is half as good for half the price (and I'm not referring to Dennis when I say that), well that's not my idea of DIR.

Allison

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom