Cost of GUE/DIR training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who you end up diving with years down the road, and the style of diving you practice can in fact be very related to what classes you take in the here and now... i've met, dove with and chose to keep diving with DIR divers i met 5 or so years ago.
i am doing my best to bring my 'old skool' dive buddies, people i've been diving with for 18-20 years along with me as i continue my quest to become a better diver via GUE training. why? simply because i really like the way people dive when they've been through even just Fundamentals. fwiw, i have been observing divers from all the different agencies who've been through the entry level tech class and/or fundamentals equivalent, and i DO see a difference in the training. maybe not better or worse per se, but the holistic approach and fundamental philosophy of GUE generally tends to make divers i want to dive with. divers who've trained with other programs DO exhibit differences in team philosophy, diving style, equipment, signal/communication, pretty much across the board there are differences. enough differences that for the diver to integrate into our little dive team, we basically have to teach them the differences, and let them decide if they want to change their style. it can be simple stuff like how far apart they like to dive.

Last edited:
I am looking but can't find it. What gas mixtures does GUE-F cover?

I am looking at taking advanced nitrox/deco procedures and am looking close to $600 for both classes and books. So I was wondering if it would be better going with GUE-F.

GUE-F is NOT a mandatory decompression focussed class, although you will learn much about the components of what will be necessary to understand and perform decompression diving including holding your stops, decompression theories, and gas management. However, i repeat, it IS NOT a mandatory decompression class. So, comparing it to Deco Procedures/Adv Nitrox is a bit inappropriate.

I would recommend it highly before taking Deco Procedures/Adv Nitrox though (or some equivalent class).

I do not understand divers who decide they want/need the most demanding class (GUE or some other agency or independent instructor). When they provisional or otherwise don't pass or the instructor won't certify them, they then proceed to shop around for an easier and/or less demanding or expensive course.

If I'm not mistaken the 2 guys who died in Wayne's World were Intro cave divers who nobody would certify further. Yet they decided, against all instructor advice that full cave was beyond them, to dive anyway. I just don't get the malleable personal standards.

I do not understand divers who decide they want/need the most demanding class (GUE or some other agency or independent instructor). When they provisional or otherwise don't pass or the instructor won't certify them, they then proceed to shop around for an easier and/or less demanding or expensive course.

If I'm not mistaken the 2 guys who died in Wayne's World were Intro cave divers who nobody would certify further. Yet they decided, against all instructor advice that full cave was beyond them, to dive anyway. I just don't get the malleable personal standards.
You're mistaken. Joe was failed at the cavern level 3 times and never received intro to cave. I talked personally with the instructor who failed him.

You're mistaken. Joe was failed at the cavern level 3 times and never received intro to cave. I talked personally with the instructor who failed him.

Well there you go, makes my point even more than the untrained guy maybe/maybe not dying in Vortex. Why do people deny what instructors they hired tell them? And frequently instructor shop thereafter.

Who you end up diving with years down the road, and the style of diving you practice can in fact be very related to what classes you take in the here and now... i've met, dove with and chose to keep diving with DIR divers i met 5 or so years ago.
i am doing my best to bring my 'old skool' dive buddies, people i've been diving with for 18-20 years along with me as i continue my quest to become a better diver via GUE training. why? simply because i really like the way people dive when they've been through even just Fundamentals. fwiw, i have been observing divers from all the different agencies who've been through the entry level tech class and/or fundamentals equivalent, and i DO see a difference in the training. maybe not better or worse per se, but the holistic approach and fundamental philosophy of GUE generally tends to make divers i want to dive with. divers who've trained with other programs DO exhibit differences in team philosophy, diving style, equipment, signal/communication, pretty much across the board there are differences. enough differences that for the diver to integrate into our little dive team, we basically have to teach them the differences, and let them decide if they want to change their style. it can be simple stuff like how far apart they like to dive.

I found out your lesson the hard way, when I first thought that Technical = Almost DIR. I dive with many technical divers, certified outside of GUE, and a technical instructor but it's a rare day I do more than wade out from the shore with them. That is to say, I don't do too many deep or aggressive dives with them because I don't have that kind of faith that when something goes wrong we will all be on the same page. Therefore I tend to keep my dives with them conservative and follow my own rules, while not impressing upon them "the right way."

GUE training will definitely lead you to evaluating the people you dive with, even at a recreational level. But not everyone who I have great dives with is GUE, I've made a dive buddy who is cavern trained and I am helping him with his new doubles. I really like his attitude towards diving and can't wait to go out and do some more dives with him because I believe he is receptive to some ideas I have, and I'm likewise to any ideas he may have.

Peace,
Greg

The way I see it, if you want to be a GUE diver than save your money and take the class[es]. Otherwise contact one of the other organizations that taught the originators of GUE how to dive. Thats what I did and the training I recieved from both the Heinerths, who are no slouches, has served me just fine.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom