Cost of pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I would prefer her to relax, work on her dive skills and foster good buddies at this point.
I would prefer her to sling a 13 or 19, charge it, then turn it off and forget about it on each and every dive. If for nothing else, it is great training for when she realizes why one would want to go "rich on right".

Sling the pony and then do exactly as @uncfnp suggests...

Possibility for pony reg - An Apeks XTX200 Tungsten DIN reg set has been posted for sale here on SB at an excellent price. Sent a PM to get pics. $300, new is $895. The Apex XTX50 that was recommended to me is nearly $600 new. We'll see if it works out. The cost was simply too good to pass up.

I just bought a zeagle flathead 7 1stage with the 'Z' 2nd stage on Amazon. Brand new for $299 shipped. It's not as nice as my xtx(s) but it's more then ok for my pony setup. Just thought I would share what I think is an awesome deal on some good equipment.

I ended up getting a new in box (still shrink wrapped) XTX50 from a fellow SBer for a good price. It's what my LDS recommended, fit my budget better than new, and I'm satisfied. Still deciding on pony size, but I've got time to decide before next season. Should get to try my buddy's 30 when we dive at Mermet next month.

What does that mean?

Gas mix. By convention you put your gasses with higher % O2 on the right and teh weaker mixes on the left

Hence, Lean on the left, rich on the right.

If' I'm just carrying one tank it can go on either side - depends on how I feel on that day. Generally I prefer teh right but will sling on the left for practice or for a change of scenery

What does that mean?

Some instructors teach that when slinging multiple bottles, the higher O2 % (Rich mix) is slung on the right, and the bottle with less O2 % (lean mix) is slung on the left.

Some instructors teach this, although GUE and most of the instructors I have seen sling everything on the left side for a variety of reasons.

What does that mean?
What everyone else said and one small addition:

I dive solo almost exclusively, practice with my pony like my life may someday depend on it. As a complication, I am totally bought into carrying (or at least having on the surface) 100% oxygen.

With everything slung on the left, I damn well better check my depth then read the MOD's on each tank before taking that first rescue breath.

Forget that! Left is always safe.

I have an al40 as a pony (and bailout on rebreather). It just disappears underwater when rigged correctly. I can notice an al80. I'd also rather use 2 40's over 1 80 when we are talking about ponys and the like.

left is lean
right is rich

Took the easy way out rather than dealing with trying to look for a used tank. Christmas prezzie. :) Sent an email to my LDS asking them to put aside a 30 cu ft pony, 1.5" spg, 6" hp hose, and valve that I'll pick up when I'm there Saturday. I'm going to rig it out myself. I should have the reg set on Monday. I'll take into the shop to have the reg guy assemble and look over. Decided to just do it now since I'm going to be getting in pool time this winter and I can work with it then, as well as having it for my AOW class next season. Might as well train with it if I'm going to dive with one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom