Cost of Servicing Scubapro Regulators

What's the most you have ever paid for an annual regulator service?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW - HOG kits are not inexpensive by any means..... So much for the belief in breaking away from manufacturer's control (like ScubaPro has been doing) has a reasonable expectation that there is a savings from a company that permits DIY......

hmm, i kind of think labor on service is one of the major income source for a dive shop. For reg service, it is $25/stage. A competent tech with proper equipment spend on a stage? 20 minutes?? I really want to know. It took me much longer, but I don't do it every day nor I have the proper equipment. If it is 20min, so it is $75/hour rate. Not too bad

I have a feeling it takes most techs longer than an hour to completely service 3 stages plus hoses and SPG. And that money doesn't all go to the shop, they have to pay the tech, probably half (I hope it's at least that much) and they have to provide space, some tools, liability, etc. For a true repair shop that's set up to service regs all day, it's one thing. For a typical dive shop that's mainly just servicing regs they sell, likely with the free parts bit so they're not making money selling kits, I bet there are many shops, especially smaller shops, that would rather not deal with it.

It used to be that owning a dive shop or any other hobby type shop, a guy could scratch out a living and do OK.
Now with the sharp increase in rents, insurance, PG&E, and basic personal cost of living increases which a salary is supposed to cover, it's increasingly hard for a small shop to stay in business. The internet has taken a good bite out of marketshare plus there just aren't that many divers left.
I don't think reg service is a huge money maker for small shops, I think it just pays wages...barely, and that's if everything goes right and the tech is fast and sharp.
My time is worth something. I could pay the ridiculous price of $48 for service kit (if they would sell me one), or I could spend hours on ghe internet trying to find the right O-rings, parts, seats, etc. and spend several hundred dollars in time equivalent to save $35. Besides, I have no idea what to buy ( durometer, sizes, material), I would have research all that... more reading, more time.
I'll just buy the kit knowing it has everything I need OEM.
Just like I buy a 900001 kit for my conshelf every 5 years or whenever for $35 shipped and I'm done with it.

Its funny you mention the time spent researching....this week I spent a large amount of time trying to figure out the correct o-rings for my new pilot, and then spent $40 or so in ordering specialty o-rings and shipping. I was getting low on a few sizes anyway. This for a regulator I certainly don't need (but am VERY happy to own) and by the time I dive with with it, will likely have a good 10 hours or so invested. That's what hobbies are for! As they say, it's not just a waste of money, it's a good waste of time, too. :D

This for a regulator I certainly don't need (but am VERY happy to own) and by the time I dive with with it, will likely have a good 10 hours or so invested. That's what hobbies are for! As they say, it's not just a waste of money, it's a good waste of time, too. :D

I guess that depends on what hobby you are in. It's called opportunity costs. It's like boat owners, some like to tinker on their boats, hardly ever leaving the pier but they can sure fix anything on them. Me, I know enough basic mechanical stuff to get back the pier and turn it over to the marina. I'd rather dive a quarry then fix a mechanical issue (electrical & computers are a bit different). Repairing dive gear the first time or two is pretty awesome for a new person. They get fired up and buy the equipment, then after a couple of times they realize that the opportunity costs are out weighed and end up taking it back to the LDS. It'd be interesting to see what the fall-out rate is.

I just wish those people would post their equipment for sale :wink::wink:

Repairing dive gear the first time or two is pretty awesome for a new person. They get fired up and buy the equipment, then after a couple of times they realize that the opportunity costs are out weighed and end up taking it back to the LDS. It'd be interesting to see what the fall-out rate is.

I would say learning to work on my own regulators is the best diving related decision I've made. Over the years I'm sure it's saved me a large amount of money, and more importantly, I know my regulators are serviced correctly and thoroughly. You couldn't pay me to take my reg to a dive shop for service. I don't think too many self-servicers go back to bringing their gear in to the shop. I could be wrong, though.

The pilot is a special case; it took a lot of time to find the right size and hardness o-rings. It uses o-rings for the 2 seats, and they're unusual ones. And, it's a finicky sucker, with a slight leak by design.

I don't think my equipment have any resale value. Two C-spanners, three allen keys, a cheap IP gauge, brass pick, a small adjustable spanner and a small ultrasound bath. These are all I need to service my Apeks regs.

FWIW - HOG kits are not inexpensive by any means..... So much for the belief in breaking away from manufacturer's control (like ScubaPro has been doing) has a reasonable expectation that there is a savings from a company that permits DIY......

The reg prices seem to have increased significantly as well.

Any members service HOGs? I'll be due soon for my setup....

Cost?
Turn around time?

TIA,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom