Cost of Tec Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was college age, my passion was horses. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a living doing something with them, and I came to the conclusion that I was far better off getting an education and earning the money to ride doing something else. Not only was that the right decision, but when my focus changed and diving came into my life, it was simple to take a flexible resource (money) and put it somewhere else. Life changes -- that's inevitable. It's good to be in a position to change with it.

How many 19 year olds do you know who can afford tec diving? Of course i cant afford it, thats why im asking. So i can plan my life a little.

Can you elaborate on that a little? Because my "college fund" is now my "diving fund" that i am using to pursue diving as a career and lifestyle. So i dont have a "large" fortune, but i have a bit to work with.

Pump the brakes!! Use your college fund for college! For real! I'm still in college, and though careful management of my resources (including serving overseas with the Army, the GI Bill, Florida Guard EDD program, education tax credits, and a part time job), I've been able to fund some pretty serious technical diving over the years. Take a look at some Pell grants, as well. Its fo' free!

I cannot stress this enough: Use your college money for college. Its a real investment in your future.

Well I dont wanna steer this thread too far off topic, but the reason I wanted to use it for diving is because there is absolutely NOTHING taught by colleges that im interested in being taught BY a college. The way this countrys educational system is set up just doesnt work for me. But like i said, i dont wanna come off as complaining or get this thread off topic, so...

How many 19 year olds do you know who can afford tec diving? Of course i cant afford it, thats why im asking. So i can plan my life a little.

Can you elaborate on that a little? Because my "college fund" is now my "diving fund" that i am using to pursue diving as a career and lifestyle.

IF you are using a college fund to pursue a diving lifestyle you need to seriously sit down and rethink your priorities.

When I was college age, my passion was horses. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make a living doing something with them, and I came to the conclusion that I was far better off getting an education and earning the money to ride doing something else.

ADeadlierSnake: Two relevant anecdotes:

1. I spoke recently with a young man who became bitten by the tech bug after he took a university scuba course and then began diving internet boards. He is about to graduate from college (mechanical engineering, I think), and has committed to entering the Navy after graduation, to become a Navy Diver. He reasoned that he can further his diving education and dive more places while he is in the service, and have more options for a (civilian) career involving diving once he leaves the service.

2. In the town where I currently live, a young man (not a college grad) recently left the service and purchased an established scuba shop using money he had saved--hoarded?--while he was in the service (Army, I think). He learned to scuba while he was in the service, and was able to dive at some amazing places while he was still active duty. He has owned his business for about two years, and is doing fine with it.

I'm sure there are many, many options you might pursue to get you to a career involving tech diving.

Ronald

Well I dont wanna steer this thread too far off topic, but the reason I wanted to use it for diving is because there is absolutely NOTHING taught by colleges that im interested in being taught BY a college. The way this countrys educational system is set up just doesnt work for me. But like i said, i dont wanna come off as complaining or get this thread off topic, so...

That may be so, but you'll find life's waters a lot harder to navigate without a college degree. Certainly future employers won't be impressed by C-Cards or log books.

Plus - give college a chance. It is easy to say there is nothing there than interests you, without ever having been. The fact that so many people change their majors indicates that thing you never knew existed may take your interest once you have had some exposure to them.

A wise ol' professor once told me this:

"College tends to afflict the comfortable, and to comfort the afflicted."

Give it a shot, talk to a councilor at your university. In a short amount of time, you might be surprised at how your opinion has changed. I thought the exact same thing.

Although I agree with the main ideas behind all the "go to college" posts, and if you follow my signature link you will see that I do value education, I am going to buck the trend and say that maybe going to college is not the best thing for you right now. If you go in with a very negative attitude, you may be just wasting a year and getting bad grades that will stay with you when you finally decide you want to go back.

If you do. Who knows?

The post I hope you will study the most is TS&M's. Whatever you do, don't take yourself into a blind alley in your life. The more flexibility you have, the more you will be able to cope with life's changes.

I know someone very well who was in a similar situation to yours. Eventually he wound up graduating from college with a degree in history, about which he felt totally lukewarm at best. He had always said that he wanted a job dealing with the outdoors in some way. He did not ever want to be behind a desk. When he graduated, he looked everywhere for a job, and eventually settled for one that put him in an office behind a desk--exactly what he said he would hate, and having nothing to do with his major. The company only hired college gradauates, but the major was not important. They felt graduation showed something about an attitude and a willingness to carry on.

That was 10 years ago. He is still doing the same work, although he has formed his own company. He is very good at it, and he loves it. One thing he loves about it is that he has the freedom, both in terms of time and finances, to enjoy a lot of outdoor activities.

I'm currently in college (audio engineering / music business) and work graveyard shifts stocking shelves at a grocery store (yeah... NOT much money to be made there). Ever since I got into SCUBA, pretty much ALL of my non-rent money has gone towards it. I eat cheaper, dress cheaper, stopped drinking, don't go out with friends as much, stopped chasing women (that really hurt to say... but they cost a LOT, lol), ride my bicycle more to get around, etc, etc. Everything I do is with the intent to get me to my next underwater destination, more gear, and more training (I also would really like to get into tech diving... caves and going deeeeeeeep). SCUBA has total control over me! I'm at a point where I've realised that I really must focus on my future, and the fun and the women will still be there when I'm ready. I just want to hurry up and finish school, move back to a coastal state (Florida, I'm looking at YOU!), make a career for myself and earn a living so I can dive to live.

You're still very young (as am I), and our future is still way ahead of us. You have to ask yourself, where do you realistically want to be X years from now? Then, how will you realistically get there? I had a lot going for me for a while... then I've had some pretty big downfalls over the last few years (DUI and kicked out of college for not attending classes, to name 2), and you quickly see how hard life is without a 'plan'. Now that I'm back on track and moving full steam ahead, I can see my future again... and I'm pretty sure this is the only way I'll be able to dive the way I want to.

I don't mean to get all philosophical on you, but being just a couple years older than you, and somewhat seeing me in you, and already having gone through the downfalls... I have to highly reccomend a good plan if you want a good future. If you want to fast-track it to the good life, you need a degree (or already have a lot of money... which we don't have... so that leaves us to needing the degree to get us money). It's pretty tough and will be a long and slow journey to get anywhere without it. It really doesn't even matter what it's for... you just need it to get somewhere (and trust me, you can find SOMETHING of interest taught by a college... and the system ain't as bad as you think). Of course, anything is possible... but one road will be less bumpy than the other.

Good luck!! (to the both of us!) And hope to see you on a tech liveaboard one day :)

haha, boulderjohn, with us posting similiar things at almost the same time (I was typing as you were posting) and being from the same area, it almost sounds like you're talking about me (minus the already successful part), lol. You're post really touches on the points I was trying to make, and the story of your friend is strikingly similiar to mine.

ADeadlierSnake, trust us... we've gone down these roads already... you really don't want to experience our stories first hand.

I'm a petroleum consultant and earn a high salary. My fiance worked as a network engineer and also made a good living before he became a full-time recreational dive instructor two years ago. Tech diving is very expensive, and not easy to practice with limited funds. Our two years here in HI has taught us that the hard way. He'll have to return to corporate America when we move back home to NYC...sad but true. It's the only way we can both afford to live and dive the way we want and have a shot at the future we dream of: lots of dive-travel and hopefully the purchase of a little condo in the Yucatan so we can take full advantage of the caves there.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom