Cough after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have noticed that after diving I develop a cough that produces clear phlem the cough doesn't seem to clear up, doesn't seem to get worse, just aggrievating. No fever, no other symptoms. Lots of throat clearing. The only time it doesn't seem to be an issue is when I am diving...

Mike

A VERY experienced instructor told me to be VERY cautious of this after diving. Essentially noting that it might be a sign of something potentially damaging. This may not be happening in your case, I don't know. But it might do you well to call DAN on this issue and ask. Again this information is second hand, but it did come from someone I trust, someone who's been isntructing nearly 40 years, and someone who's done his fair share of rescues.

Call and see.

Ok..will call when I get back home (in KC on business).

Mike

I occasionally get a cough for a few days after diving, but I always assumed it was from the dry air, since I was getting cottonmouth underwater. :eek: This is regardless of mix and related more to dryness and breathing rate. Let us know what you find out.

I think the dangers that PerroneFord is alluding to might be PFO related.

do it easy:
I think the dangers that PerroneFord is alluding to might be PFO related.

Yep. Indeed they are.

I'm not a doctor, so I'll say that PFO is a TLA (three letter acronym) that stands for patent foramen ovule. Allegedly, it is a condition where some little flap in the heart isn't completely sealed and it will let blood flow from one side of the heart to the other side. This might be a problem when fizzy venous blood bypasses the lungs and passes into the arterial side. The fizzyness could cause problems such as DCI, AGE, etc.

Supposedly, we all have PFOs as fetuses since the lungs aren't working, but it seals itself at some point, although not completely in some people.

I'm sure there are some better threads that have better explanations than mine, so don't rely on my information!

The following is from an active thread on the topic of AGE on the neighboring Diving Medicine forum:

"06-26-06

All fetuses have an opening between the two upper chambers of the heart (atria) known as the "foramen ovale." Since the fetus' lungs are in a collapsed and essentially non-aerated state, there's no point in the body endeavoring to circulate much blood to them. Only about 5 -10% of the blood in the pulmonary artery enters the lungs in the fetus.

At the moment of birth, the foramen ovale is no longer needed. With aeration of the lungs and increased pulmonary blood flow and pulmonary venous return to the left atrium, the pressure in that chamber becomes higher than in the right atrium. This increased pressure closes the flap valve between the two atria and the tissues eventually grow together over the first year of life.

In somewhere around 20% of persons complete closure does not occur. This is called "patent foramen ovale (PFO)". Depending upon its size and other factors, it may or may not be symptomatic."

A less technical discussion of PFO, along with some of its implications for scuba, can be found at:

Scuba and PFO
http://www.awoosh.com/Doc Vikingo's Resource Page/PFO.htm

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

You state: "Supposedly, we all have PFOs as fetuses since the lungs aren't working, but it seals itself at some point, although not completely in some people."

The following is from the same active thread on the topic of AGE on the neighboring Diving Medicine forum:

"06-26-06

1. All fetuses have a "foramen ovale." It is a critical feature of how their tissues are oxygenated from the placenta since they do not have functioning lungs.

2. No fetuses have a "patent foramen ovale" as by definition it is a cardiac abnormality that does not appear until after birth."

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

I think the above suggestions and hints indicate that you might be wise to read up on PFOs - here and otherwise. You may even want to seek an exam for possible PFO. It doesn't prevent diving, but does suggest more caution.

Ooops...
Don's Boo-boo: I don't think ScubaBoard Search feature will do a 3-letter search, but I have found that using Google on Explore for Scubaboard PFO works.
See much better advice below... :silly:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom