Cough after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although a cough after diving could be an indication of something significant, there are also some other causes to be considered. Aspiration of sea water could cause a brief, self-limited cough. Sinus drainage can do this, also. Desiccation from breathing the extremely dry air from a regulator could also cause some irritation of the pharynx/larynx and lead to a brief period of cough.

The fact that the OP mentions a lot of throat-clearing makes me more suspicious of an upper airway irritation as a source of the cough, although of course, I'm not there and can't diagnose anything over the internet.

PerroneFord:
Yep. Indeed they are.

RE: PFO/Phlegm connection...

Any pointers/references to this topic....? i.e not the general "what it a PFO..."

netmage:
RE: PFO/Phlegm connection...

Any pointers/references to this topic....? i.e not the general "what it a PFO..."
A common heart abnormality. See Search feature

Well, turns out it was more related to my computers than to diving. I do computer consulting and as a result have several servers sitting in my home office. It isn't very well ventilated there and that allowed ozone and other stuff from the electronics to build up in the air there. When the Albuterol my doctor prescribed helped, I figured it was being brought on by some form of pollution and I was just noticing it more after coming back from nice "clean" environments. As soon as I switched off the servers and let the room air out a bit the frequency of the coughing and such has greatly reduced. Now I just turn them on as needed instead of letting them run continuously.

Mike

Why didn't I think of that? :11: Hey, glad you got that figured out. Yeah, that O1 can be radical stuff. Works good in H2Os Hydrogen peroxide for killing things, but I wouldn't want to breathe much of it. Hope your lungs aren't scared.

bperrybap:
Way off topic but
Ozone = O3
Hydrogen per Oxide = H2O2
Ooops, Oh - my bad. H2O2 releases O1, but Ozone is O3 - gotcha...!

Still not good stuff. thanks. :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom