Cozumel Coral Reef Restoration Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Pam at Blue Angel one time right after Gilbert and then started diving with German at Caribbean Argonauts. Its been a long time but I was thinking that Germans shop was across from Villa Blanca. I think his name changed also to Eco Divers or something. Heck I guess I'm getting old . It been a while.

The original Blue Angel dive shop was located next to Papa Hogs, and operated out of a semi basement where Scuba Mau is once again occupying.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I dove with Pam at Blue Angel one time right after Gilbert and then started diving with German at Caribbean Argonauts. Its been a long time but I was thinking that Germans shop was across from Villa Blanca. I think his name changed also to Eco Divers or something. Heck I guess I'm getting old . It been a while.

Correct, Dave & Steve, I was referring to Pam Linton's Blue Angel shop, not the current oceanside resort. 1980s, pre- & post-Gilberto. Argonautas del Caribe was also beachside (yes, across from VB), and did have "eco-dive" in it's phrasing, although I can't recall if it was ever renamed that, or whether it was just part of the descriptive. German was ahead of his time, and "eco", before it was cool to be so! Also, I believe the little diner above the BA shop used to be called Pepe's then, if memory serves...

papa-hog-s-scuba-emporium.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful way to give back to the ocean and support those who make a difference.

Next time I'm back in Cozumel, I will participate in the program.

Maybe one could get Carnival Cruise Lines to pay for endless tanks for this fine effort? They put their damn pier right on Paradise Reef!
I've done a trash cleanup AWARE dive, right in town, with Liang. It was good to give back and help the ocean and reefs I love.

soon very very soon :)

so got back several days ago and I just wanted to follow up here for anyone wanting to complete this course and volunteer some time helping Dr. Herman Mendez... i will also post some vids of the dives but this course is so much more than just diving.

Working and learning alongside Dr. German Mendez of the Cozumel Coral Reef Restoration Project has been one of my most fulfilling experiences...I actually cancelled my boat dives after two to do more at the coral farm. I met some great people, learned a lot and felt I made a real difference. The course is so extensive that it would take me days to write it all out...

For those interested in course outline please link up to www.ccrrp.org or contact Dr. Herman Mendez. He needs a ton of help, pipe cleaners, tooth brushes, two part epoxy putty, nylon brushes like those used at the kitchen sink (you can get a better idea from the vids). However, volunteers is what he needs the most. Please let him know that Ben recommended you.

We must pay attention to the little things when working with the big things German R. Mendez and another volunteer in the background rescuing purple sea fans and Gorgonians. We commonly saw Blennies in their burrows, baby Urchins and Nudibanchs while working on the platforms. A wonderful sign of a thriving ecosystem. I have been told that over 50 fish species have returned since the start of the restoration project

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom