Cozumel in August!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave,

While there are tons of good ops, I would recommend Scuba with Alison Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison :cheerleader::cheerleader: We have gone out with her alot. I know we would change our start time to accomodate cruisers. No more than 8 on the boat and the boat is a good sized, fast boat which you can see on the web site. It is more like diving with a friend than hiring an DM. High on safety though. You can catch a cab to the marina to meet her. It is just short distance south so a fast boat is nice. If you haven't been there or really if you have, it doesnt matter where she takes you, you'll love it. The dive sites are a small boat ride south of the marina more or less off the west side down south. With Alison, you do your SI typically at a beach club right by the dive sites, so you can buy some food or such if you want more than the snack, fruit and beverages she will provide.
All the diving pretty much is drift diving, (which PADI will teach you how to do if you put another dollar in.... I never took the course.) Basically, jump in and ride the current on the dive. Sometimes faster than others, but it is lazy diving to my way of thinking. Not much swimming, just steering......
Any other questions, post 'em and the board will be happy to give you 57 answers. (62 on Mondays and Thursday.)

You're gonna love it.

My husband, my teenage son, and I are going to be at SSC Aug. 7-14th:D

DARRINMARCIAL w/ buddy already there-September 3 Villa Minor/ Aldora
HIMSELF July 23- August 8 Hotel Barracuda/Dive Paradise

SCTOM with wife and son July 27-August 3 Villablanca/ScubaMau maybe
MISSISSIPPIDIVER and son July 28-August 4 Safari Inn/ Aqua Safari
JLYLE July 31-August 21 Scuba Club Cozumel
BARADA plus 8 July 31- August 7 Scuba Club Cozumel
SW1976 & hubby August 1- August 8 Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise
JILLIANANNO August 2- August 6 ????? FIRST TIMER
DOOWAIN1 with 10 (6 divers) August 3- August 12th Casa Mexicana/??
MATHEWJEN and wife August 3-August 10 Casa Del Mar/??
WATT and wife August 5- August 12 Barracuda/Dive Paradise
BOBTRUCK and family August 6-August 12 Allegro/??
SCUBA KELLY & SCUBA DAVE August 7 August 14 Scuba Club Cozumel
FUZZMUTTON and husband and son August 7-14 Scuba Club Cozumel
ORIGINALSEABASS and family August 6- August 14 Occidental Grand/ Dive with Martin
JUDYDIVESCOZ and hubby August 6-August 24 Staying with friends/ Albatros
KDBECKSTROM w/husband and sister August 7- August 14 Iberostar/Alison
KABAL22 and wife August 7-August 15 ???/Living Underwater
BUDAMAN August 7-August 14 Le Cieba/Babieca
CRAIG66 and Family August 8-August 15 Casa Mexicana/ ScubaMau
DOCC & ALOHAGAL August 11- August 16 Blue Angel/Blue Angel
COBRA269 August 13-23 Wyndham Sabor/ Dive with Martin
BAYSTR w/ kids August 14- August 25 Allegro/Dive Pro
MARCADO August 14- August 23 Safari Inn or Hostelito/Aqua Safari
UBER wife and parents August 14-August 28 Occidental Grand/ Dive Palancar
N8LYKIND with husband August 19-August 26 Residencias Reef/Alison FIRST TIMERS

PAULW and wife August 21- August 29 El Coz/Blue Xta Sea
DANDYDON and buddy August 21-August 28 Villablanca/ScubaMau
HARRO10 August 21- August 28 Vista Del Mar/ScubaMau
MERFMAN August 21-August 28 Scuba Club Cozumel
MMABASSADOR August 21-August 28 ???
SUPRANE and Laura August 21-August 28 Hotel Cozumel/Aldora (?)
DJANNI August 28-September 4 El Cid/BlueXTsea
SKINSFAN131 party of 8 August 29-Sept 5 Wyndam Sabor/??

Another cruise boat person going to be there Aug 18th. My son and I will be diving and will check out Scuba with Alison. Question - used to NE diving with 7mm wetsuits (48 degree water) and St. Thomas in June with no wetsuits. What is the water temp? Also - I seem to recall no gloves allowed in Coz? Looking so forward to heading down that way!!

Bob

My wife and I are arriving August 10 afternoon and want to arrange a trip to Punta Sur--probably the Cathedral or Devil's Throat--on Wednesday August 11 with Edmundo at ChaChaCha Dive Shop ( chachachadiveshop.com ). We dive with him every time we come down; great guy and very good dive guide. We would probably need two to four others to make a trip down there. Cost would be in the $65-$75 range; 7 am departure from downtown or pickup on the way. I like to get there long before the crowds screw up the vis. Second dive would be a long drift on the inshore reefs.

If we get any interest, we would put you in touch with Edmundo and you can work out your details with him. In case you don't know this already, these dives off Punta Sur are viewed as "advanced" dives, so the cattle boats do not normally go there. We can't vouch for you, so if Edmundo will take you, it is fine with us--we are just trying to fill a boat.

Full disclosure--wife and I are in our 60s and long-time, pretty conservative divers. On the other hand, we are not judgmental. If you want to be a hot dog and risk your life, we will watch.

I guess there is a way to get in touch with me through this forum, but my direct email address is bobfmdc@yahoo.com.

I have not actually booked my cruise yet, but if it pans out, I'll be in Cozumel on Aug 10 for a day of diving. I know nothing about Cozumel and would like to get up-to-speed ASAP so I can cram a day of diving in at what is apparently one of the best dive spots in the world.

Intermediate open water diver, most of my time in cold water Great Lakes but have dove Bahamas and Grand Turk. My vacation buddy is not a dive buddy.

Looking for any and all advice.

Another cruise boat person going to be there Aug 18th. My son and I will be diving and will check out Scuba with Alison. Question - used to NE diving with 7mm wetsuits (48 degree water) and St. Thomas in June with no wetsuits. What is the water temp? Also - I seem to recall no gloves allowed in Coz? Looking so forward to heading down that way!!

Bob
You cruise boaters really need to find a recent thread on this Cozumel forum about such or start a new one, after learning the scheduled arrival and departure times for your respective barges. Several operators like Blue Angel (which is located about halfway between the two sets of cruise piers) have late departing boats every day geared to your probable schedules. They may not do spectacular wall dives but then many Ops won't take a first day customer on those the first day, but still nice diving. Expect $5 cab fares each way.

Allison may well be a great Op, but I think she docks at the southern marina - a pretty healthy cab fare, you'd want to arrange for the same taxi to come back for you on time as there may not be many there, and you may fin her schedule challenging for your arrival - but ask for more info on that on a cruise thread for better coverage and a higher numbers of answers.

Have a nice visit. Next time fly to Coz or Cancun and do it right. :eyebrow:

DD, We met Alison and the marina every day and there was always a cab waiting around for fares when we got back. Carlos would just go grab one for the cruisers with us. I don't know the fare, but the marina was RIGHT next to the south cruise pier( thats international right?). In fact Alison will pick up at those places right on the other side the cruise pier. Can't be more than a couple bucks. As for scheduling we would leave at litte later on days the cruisers were coming later.

Just tell Alison when you are arriving and she can tell you if she can accomodate you.

And DD was right about one thing, lose the boat and come to Coz for the whole shebang....

Ok guess I was wrong about how far.

Ok guess I was wrong about how far.

I'm taking a screen shot. Reminds me of Dan Aykroyd in Tommyboy: "Well kid, you threw one by me. – Savor the flavor, cause it sure as h@$$ won't happen again"

:cheers:

It's been my experience that taxis are few and far between when you get to the north end. There just isn't enough business up there to warrant them hanging around that area much!... Personally, I would be inclined to rent a car if staying anywhere north of the airport. :wink:
Wow. Big type; bold. True that taxis may not populate the northern hotel zone before 8:00 or 8:30 in the morning or late at night. But it's no big deal to have the front desk call dispatch and order a taxi -- takes a few minutes a driver to speed over from the ferry pier, which would be the furthest away that one might be. Word of caution, though: When anyone calls for a taxi in Coz, dispatch gives the number of the taxi that's responding. Even if another taxi comes by while you're waiting or even if someone offers you a lift, it's appropriate & customary to wait and take the taxi that you ordered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom