Cozumel Mexico and Sudafed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I just buy a box of the mallwart clone version every couple months when I happen to be at one.

I've never had a problem bringing a small quantity in my backpack, along with some advil, meclazine, pepto etc.

Check your sudafed. I believe what is banned is pseudoephedrine, it was the active ingredient and why in many states you had to show an ID to get it and could only get a box or two (it was/is used to make meth). I don’t think all or most sudafed uses pseudoephedrine anymore. Read the link in post 3 Information regarding bringing medications into Mexico | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico
and check the box for ingredients

I've been getting the real deal with Flonase 24 Hour.

Would that be CUN or CZM? From what I've heard about the Cozumel airport you'd probably have a better chance of getting through in Cancun. I'm fairly certain that you can't buy Sudafed in Mexico, even with a prescription. My girlfriend gets something that looks like Sudafed but is actually phenylephrine. It seems to work almost as well for her. I brought some Tramadol back to the US that I bought in Mexico and didn't have any problems at the airport but we have TSA Pre-Select and were at CUN. Besides, I have a current prescription for Tramadol in the US if anyone was to ask.

Flying to Cozumel and if it's worse than Cancun I don't think I will take the chance. Was there last year and that airport has some sketchy thing going on. I did not know you can get Tramadol there without a prescription. I too have a prescription for Tramadol and because of the drug epidemic in the US it's a big pain in the rear jumping through the hoops to it mine filled. Is it at the pharmacies in Cancun? (Side note, I do not take tramadol on dive days).

Thanks

Flying to Cozumel and if it's worse than Cancun I don't think I will take the chance. Was there last year and that airport has some sketchy thing going on. I did not know you can get Tramadol there without a prescription. I too have a prescription for Tramadol and because of the drug epidemic in the US it's a big pain in the rear jumping through the hoops to it mine filled. Is it at the pharmacies in Cancun? (Side note, I do not take tramadol on dive days).

Thanks

Many of the farmacias have a list outside of they drugs they sell, presumably the ones that require a prescription in the US but not in Mexico. Only a very few are familiar to me so I'm not sure what is what, but yes, you can buy Tramadol without a prescription. I've bought it twice--once on Cozumel (or was it Isla Mujeres?) and once in Puerto Vallarta. Sometimes they have it in capsules, sometimes in tablets (based upon two experiences). One thing I don't know is which is the cheapest farmacia. My girlfriend visited the dive doctor on our last trip and they sent us to Ahorro! As far as I can tell ahorro means "discount" but it might be an expression. It's inland quite a ways so we took a taxi. The taxi driver waited for us and gave me some Spanish lessons. I thought the place was called "ahora." :| As a side note, he even talked to the pharmacist for us and made sure we got exactly what we needed and the best price too! Such nice people in San Miguel!

I've been getting the real deal with Flonase 24 Hour.
I avoid that stuff except if I'm bad enough to need a doctor and he tells me otherwise. It can have some serious side effects:
Code:
    Epistaxis, nasal ulceration, Candida albicans infection, nasal septal perforation, and impaired wound healing
    Cataracts and glaucoma
    Immunosuppression
    Hypercorticism and adrenal suppression
    Effect on growth
vs pseudoephedrine:
Code:
    nervousness,
    restlessness or excitability (especially in children),
    dizziness,
    headache,
    fear,
    anxiety,
    loss of appetite,
    sleep problems (insomnia),
    skin rash,
    itching,
    tremors,
    hallucinations,
    convulsions (seizures),
    nausea,
    vomiting, and
    flushing (warmth, tingling, or redness under your skin).
The source for both of those is rxlist.com. Flonase has fewer, but in my opinion the side effects are vastly more serious.

Many of the farmacias have a list outside of they drugs they sell, presumably the ones that require a prescription in the US but not in Mexico. Only a very few are familiar to me so I'm not sure what is what, but yes, you can buy Tramadol without a prescription. I've bought it twice--once on Cozumel (or was it Isla Mujeres?) and once in Puerto Vallarta. Sometimes they have it in capsules, sometimes in tablets (based upon two experiences). One thing I don't know is which is the cheapest farmacia. My girlfriend visited the dive doctor on our last trip and they sent us to Ahorro! As far as I can tell ahorro means "discount" but it might be an expression. It's inland quite a ways so we took a taxi. The taxi driver waited for us and gave me some Spanish lessons. I thought the place was called "ahora." :| As a side note, he even talked to the pharmacist for us and made sure we got exactly what we needed and the best price too! Such nice people in San Miguel!
Ahorro means save.

I avoid that stuff except if I'm bad enough to need a doctor and he tells me otherwise. It can have some serious side effects:
Code:
    Epistaxis, nasal ulceration, Candida albicans infection, nasal septal perforation, and impaired wound healing
    Cataracts and glaucoma
    Immunosuppression
    Effect on growth
vs pseudoephedrine:
Code:
    nervousness,
    dizziness,
    headache,
    fear,
    anxiety,
    loss of appetite,
    skin rash,
    itching,
    tremors,
    hallucinations,
    convulsions (seizures),
    nausea,
    vomiting, and
The source for both of those is rxlist.com. Flonase has fewer, but in my opinion the side effects are vastly more serious.
I use both and don't notice any of those symptoms. I did have one cataract operation but I'm old and it wasn't that bad.

Code:
    Cataracts and glaucoma
    Immunosuppression
    Effect on growth
vs pseudoephedrine:
Code:
    nervousness,
    dizziness,
    headache,
    fear,
    anxiety,
    loss of appetite,
    skin rash,
    itching,
    tremors,
    hallucinations,
    convulsions (seizures),
    nausea,
    vomiting, and

Avoid what stuff??

Back
Top Bottom