Cozumel Passport Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAFUN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking to do a last minute Cozumel trip and notice that my passport expires Sept 1, 2016.
I looked on the Mexico govt site and it said they can require 6 months left on your passport, but that
for vacationers, I "should" not have any issues. Has anyone had any issues with this upon entering
Mexico in Cozumel?

Thanks

I am looking to do a last minute Cozumel trip and notice that my passport expires Sept 1, 2016.
I looked on the Mexico govt site and it said they can require 6 months left on your passport, but that
for vacationers, I "should" not have any issues. Has anyone had any issues with this upon entering
Mexico in Cozumel?

Thanks
You don't say how much time until you travel. . .

Your airline is also supposed to check that there are 6 months remaining on your passport before they let you board. . .

You might get lucky, safest would be to pay the bucks the the US Passport agency for expedited service:

If you are traveling within 2 weeks or need a passport for a foreign visa within 4 weeks and:
  • Have not yet applied, please call our National Passport Information Center (1-877-487-2778) to schedule an appointment and submit your application at a Passport Agency.
  • Have already applied, please contact our National Passport Information Center to speak with a Customer Service Representative when you are 7 days out from your travel date.
Processing Times

My 2 cents is , I would do everything you can to get a new one before you go if possible. It seems as with a lot of things it all depends on the agents. I have had the agent that just smiled and tagged my bag when it was 53lbs and the agent that wouldn't accept 50.1 lbs. It is the listed rule so you have no argument and if you catch a agent on a bad day -your at their mercy. Now if they wouldn't let me leave mexico I would have no problem. :bounce:2 days to go.

This is going to be a common problem over the next year. Jan 1 2007 the USA started requiring passports for re-entry via airports. That created a very large surge in passports issued and they all are expiring 10 years later. With the 6 month remaining rule the renewal surge should just be starting.

Most countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond your return date. Prior to 9/11 this wasn't always enforced for Americans traveling to Mexico or the Caribbean. Now that passports are required the six month rule is generally enforced. However, as mentioned above, sometimes agents don't always abide by it (very rare now-a-days).

When I worked for the airlines Immigrations would fine an airline if they found a passport or any travel documents to be invalid or not meeting the proper requirements. Airline agents are now more informed and tend to stick to the rules when it comes to passports and Visas.

Here is an informative source for questions regarding travel documents, www.traveldocs.com.

My advice is, get your passport renewed and enjoy your trip. Why create more stress for yourself wondering if you may be denied boarding. It really isn't worth the frustration, nor is it fun to be denied boarding. I've denied numerous people because of improper documents. They were not happy, to say the least, and many of them did not get their money back.

OK, we decided to spend the $400+ to get our new expedited passports.
I want our trip to be stress free :)

Thanks

Mexico has no such six month rule. Some airline gate agents may enforce this incorrect rule.

Mexico has no such six month rule. Some airline gate agents may enforce this incorrect rule.
Part of the misunderstanding may be that the US State Dept travel website states that you need 6 months validity remaining on your passport for entry into Mexico.

Mexico

There are some sovereign states that do not require a passport if you are visiting as a tourist, however, the U.S. requires a passport to enter the country.

The best resource to determine what is required to enter and leave a country is Timatic. The airlines use it as well as many travel agents. Problem is, you have to have a subscription to use it, and it is not cheap. The website is www.timaticweb.com.

For those who do not have access to Timatic I recommend calling the airline directly and ask what is required. Be careful when contacting embassies to inquire about travel documents. I've witnessed incorrect information given out by embassy officials.

As you can see, it can be a bit frustrating when it comes to travel documents. It all boils down to the agent who is checking your passport.

Mexico in Cozumel?

Thanks
I did see a couple get refused a boarding Pass in Chicago in Feb. They had 4 months left on their Passports. I was stuck behind them in Line at the counter because my passport did not work in the Kiosk. Had to wait for a supervisor to explain to them several times the 6 month thing. I had no problems it was the Kiosk fault with my passport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom