Cozumel Trip Report (Blue Angel) -- 5/23 - 5/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, about the drysuit.... what suit are you diving and what did you wear as an undergarment? I wear a 5mm wetsuit when water temps are in the low 80s, and add a layer when temps are in the 70s. I've been looking at a couple DUI suits, the Tropical Dry (30/30), a 350, or something from another company. Much lighter to pack then a 5mm, and in cooler months, another layer, and I wouldn't really care who laughs at me, being dry and warm is a huge plus. Nothing is worse then getting into a cold, wet, wetsuit for a 2nd dive or night dives when you're someone who's already getting chilled by day 3 of the trip.

What I like about the 30/30 is it's supposed to be made for warm climates and warm water and be pretty breathable on the surface. What I'm not so sold on is not having any attached feet. That would be 2 more seals that could potentially fail.

I've been using a drysuit here in the NE the last year, but it's not my suit and not one that is suited to recreational diving or travel. I have discovered though that I really have no interest in diving wet anymore, not even if it's summer in the Caribbean and the water is 82.

We enjoyed diving with you two as well! We had a nice little group the first couple days :D It was sad when people started splitting off, but we still managed to have a great time!

We also enjoyed it, and had a great group and DM. Jose is the best since I enjoy macro. Janice and I missed the Columbias this trip.

So, about the drysuit.... what suit are you diving and what did you wear as an undergarment? I wear a 5mm wetsuit when water temps are in the low 80s, and add a layer when temps are in the 70s. I've been looking at a couple DUI suits, the Tropical Dry (30/30), a 350, or something from another company. Much lighter to pack then a 5mm, and in cooler months, another layer, and I wouldn't really care who laughs at me, being dry and warm is a huge plus. Nothing is worse then getting into a cold, wet, wetsuit for a 2nd dive or night dives when you're someone who's already getting chilled by day 3 of the trip.

What I like about the 30/30 is it's supposed to be made for warm climates and warm water and be pretty breathable on the surface. What I'm not so sold on is not having any attached feet. That would be 2 more seals that could potentially fail.

I've been using a drysuit here in the NE the last year, but it's not my suit and not one that is suited to recreational diving or travel. I have discovered though that I really have no interest in diving wet anymore, not even if it's summer in the Caribbean and the water is 82.

I was diving a DUI TLS-350 and my husband was diving a Whites Fusion. These are the suits we dive back at home (where the water ranges from a low in the mid to high 40's to high 50's). We wore much lighter undergarments than normal. They were very light fleece shirts and pants from either Land's End or REI. The only time we were ever uncomfortable was when we were gearing up before the boat took off. If we were wet or the boat was moving, we were perfectly comfortable.

I don't know much about the 30/30 other than that it's supposed to be more breatheable on the surface and that they don't have attached feet. Like I mentioned, we were rarely uncomfortable on the surface, so I don't know how much difference the breatheability would make. And I'm not really a big fan of not having attached feet -- especially if you're trying to have one suit for both locations!

I'm with you....I have no interest in diving wet anymore! I really prefer the way the drysuit dives, plus never shivering during any part of the dive (or ride back in) was pretty awesome! :wink:

I was diving a DUI TLS-350 and my husband was diving a Whites Fusion. These are the suits we dive back at home (where the water ranges from a low in the mid to high 40's to high 50's). We wore much lighter undergarments than normal. They were very light fleece shirts and pants from either Land's End or REI. The only time we were ever uncomfortable was when we were gearing up before the boat took off. If we were wet or the boat was moving, we were perfectly comfortable.

I don't know much about the 30/30 other than that it's supposed to be more breatheable on the surface and that they don't have attached feet. Like I mentioned, we were rarely uncomfortable on the surface, so I don't know how much difference the breatheability would make. And I'm not really a big fan of not having attached feet -- especially if you're trying to have one suit for both locations!

I'm with you....I have no interest in diving wet anymore! I really prefer the way the drysuit dives, plus never shivering during any part of the dive (or ride back in) was pretty awesome! :wink:
I have the same drysuit as you and have been hoping to sell it. I have given up diving in cold water, perhaps I should reconsider.
FWIW, I get very cold on the boat and always bring 2 wetsuits so I can begin every dive dry and a dive parka. It has been working well for me.

I have the same drysuit as you and have been hoping to sell it. I have given up diving in cold water, perhaps I should reconsider.
FWIW, I get very cold on the boat and always bring 2 wetsuits so I can begin every dive dry and a dive parka. It has been working well for me.

Well, looks like you're off to Coz shortly....maybe give the drysuit with some light undergarments a chance! FWIW, it was as warm as 86F on the surface -- when we did surface intervals at the beach (and in the water), I was never uncomfortable (hot or cold). Underwater was the same story....and motoring back in was the same. No need for thick wetsuits or multiple wetsuits or blue lips, chattering teeth, and goosebumps :D

FWIW, I get very cold on the boat and always bring 2 wetsuits so I can begin every dive dry...
So much work. I'd carry a thermos of warm water to pour in before and after dives, or go dry.

Diving dry in "warm" water is a great way to increase your comfort. My wife and I did exactly that in Roatan a few months ago. Great decision for us. We used *very* similar undergarments to ligersandtions and her husband. :)

[vimeo]19818216[/vimeo]

So much work. I'd carry a thermos of warm water to pour in before and after dives, or go dry.
Not much work at all....hate having a wet wetsuit on between dives so I would take it off anyway. I like to take in the sun. Its much easier just putting on a dry one instead struggling with a wet one. I don't think that I could keep a drysuit on between dives either. The neck seal is a bit uncomfortable for me. Even tho the dry suit claims to be "self donning" its all a lie. It takes a village to put the damn thing on! Might consider taking it in January.

We took our drysuits off between dives (or at least down to our waists). Never had any trouble getting them on or off, though they do take longer than a wetsuit. The thermal comfort can't be beat. About the only time I want to stop diving is when I get cold. Plus, as ligers noted, the drysuit just dives better than a wetsuit anyway (trim, buoyancy, etc). If you're already comfortable with one, might consider trying it on the next trip. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom