Cozumel trip report Nov 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nashwl

There are quite a few of do's and skips in this forum so I will say what I can think of right now. I can't say what you like. I can't tell if you have been to Cozumel before so if repetitive, disregard.

Skip the so called art exhibit at the hotel. They are trying to sell paintings at ridiculusly stupid prices like $10,000 USD. They hold a raffle to pull you in among other things.

They have a beach BBQ/lunch sometimes with fresh ceviche (I am not a fish eater but I was told it was good).

Go to the french restaurant which is good. Oceania is the seafood restaurant which is good but have items with beaks and snouts. Decent breaksfasts before diving but they can be slow at times as they are just opening up and the waiters argue over which tables are in their area. Don't hesitate to speak up for service. We order everything at once.

The buffet in the middle hotel section is decent if you are in a hurry.
They do have room service but it's not the greatest. It works after night dives or if you're just tired.

Do go into town to eat a few times or wander around the the main square, see the museum, or shop. Ask reception what may be going on in town at the time. Many good restarurants in town.
If inclined for grocery items for your room go to Mega or Chedraui - both big, on the main street and give a good exchange rate.

Do go to the east side of the island. Rent a car or use a taxi. Caution - taking rentals off pavement can cost you alot if you breakdown or get stuck. There are two roads on the east side - the new road and the old. One is for cars and one for bicycles (maybe mopeds but check). Be careful with imbibing too much - accidents and arrests can happen. We go through town in the morning to the east side, spend the day and return arond the south side to Secrets\Sunscape. Benito Juarez is the transverse road. You can try Punta Sur lighthouse and mangroves on the south end of the island. I am no fan of mopeds as they are dangerous - traffic, bald tires, wet roads, inexperienced drivers etc. Many people get hurt on them. A bunch of threads on that in this forum.

Do get some Mex pesos for the taxis. If you use USD you will pay almost double since the drivers seem only to be able to do 10 to 1 (and a ripoff of tourists with dollars to boot). 150 pesos from Secrets to town or $15 USD. Ask reception what the fare will be and ask the driver what it is. They also claim not to be able to make change. Taxis everywhere on the Main coast street (Melgar) in town. Do not tip the taxi driver unless he is lugging alot of huge suitcases or lots of groceries (cases of bottled water for example).

Do dive (or snorkel) - alot. Don't snorkel in the boat lanes offshore and watch for idiot tourists on jet skiis.

Sky bar opens at 5 for bloody Ceasars (If you ask for a bloody mary you'll get tomato juice). They do have Grey Goose and other premiums. Try the beach bar at the north end of the property if that is your thing. They have Dos XX lager and amber.

You can tip if you like or not at the hotel. We tip the maid and exceptional waiters. Do be respectful of the staff (and everyone else). You will get it back two fold at least.

There are two sections to Secrets (the old Sabor adults only and Aura). The old sabor section has the water slides and is not on the beach. The Aura part is on the beach. We did not know until we arrived to know where we would be and called reception before we left and they could not tell us even a few days before. If it matters to you, ask to change areas when you check in and see what they say. They both have advantages and there are no restrictions about where you can go.

There is alot of advice in threads here in this section for just about everything. I think people will pile on this subject so maybe narrow down your wants.

Thank you, but I meant more just about Secrets. Been to Coz several times, but this will be my first time at this resort. Anything hidden things you found about it?

Ok. There is a new coffee shop at no cost. I don't drink coffee but my wife and others enjoyed it. They have sandwiches and scones and such. There is another uspstairs bar near reception (not Sky bar) that has sports on TV in it I was told and the other bar in Sunscapes has TVs with sports (American). Other than that I can't think of anything hidden. Good luck.

Re Pier hours: I can't say what the in house dive does. We used an outside one. But we did see larger boats which we assumed were Dive Paradise (but could have been Dive House) pull up after a night dive. They did not have private dinners on the pier every night. We assume that the dive op coordinates with the hotel for scheduling. If you use the in house op Dive Paradise (possibly Dive House but I think not, that was the old in house dive op then email them and ask.

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing.....three more weeks.....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom