Crappie, Rock Bass, or Other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always thought they were rock bass. I would be interested to know the exact identification of them and what distinctive features seperates the two of them.

Matt

Here are all the pics (mostly from the trash file :D) I could find:

Ha ha, now I'm seeing pics that most likely are rock bass AND black crappie. This thread is well-titled!

I look at the eyeball as a defining feature of rock bass. It's very large and orange-red. One of the common names is "google-eye", and it's not inappropriate.

Black crappie should be black-grey bodied, not greenish like rock bass tend to get. And the crappie like to swim around with the first dorsal fin flattened down, which most other sunfish loathe.

Crappie also have those funky concave heads. Fishermen typically use that feature as diagnostic.

Frankly I'd just fry 'em all up and call 'em good!
---
I think the first picture in the thread is a crappie.
I think Av8r23's and the last one in your trash shots are rock bass.
But I would not lay any money on any of 'em.
Rick

Also...

The dorsal and anal fins on the Rock Bass are assymetric...the dorsal fin is much larger with 12 or 13 spines, whereas the anal fin has only 6 spines.

The Crappie has symetric dorsal and anal fins and the number of spines is less...7, I believe.

And, yah...the head of a Crappie is sorta scooped or S-shaped.

But in general, the Rock Bass is more elongated and the Crappie more oval and the Crappie typically are a much darker color than the light green and bronze of the bass.

So are we thinking hybrid or just mixed pictures?

SeaYoda:
So are we thinking hybrid or just mixed pictures?

You have mixed pictures. Don't bring up the evil "hybrid" word.

That red eye makes it look like a Rock Bass to me. Looks a lot like the Rock Bass we have at Gilboa but ours are bigger. I've only ever seen one Black Crappie at the quarry and it was more gold/black speckled than blotchy like this pic is.
Ber :lilbunny:

archman:
You have mixed pictures. Don't bring up the evil "hybrid" word.
:laughing:

Here's a couple pictures for the purist:

26242crappie.jpg

26242spot_filtered.jpg

Great information, thanks guys. I now can tell the difference between the two.. :) I would have gone on life just calling them all rock basses without this thread..

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom