Cuba - passport stamp implications USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a dive trip to Cuba.
Now I hold a British passport and I have an American visa (10 years - business/tourist).
So the question is:
When I go into Cuba, will they stamp my passport at immigration?
And would this stamp in my passport cause any problems on future trips to USA?

Any comments?

Yep.
Nope.
Rick

Go and don't worry. Use your British passport, and it really doesn't matter if they stamp it or not. USA Immigration won't care.

forbids U.S. citizens from traveling to Cuba without a visa. You are not a U.S. citizen. Go, enjoy. My wife is not a U.S. citizen and she can go (a U.S. greencard holder) but I can not, U.S. Passport holder.

However, I understand from some U.S. citizen that have gone to Cuba that the Cubans staple a paper into the passport upon arrival, and remove it upon departure so there isn't a stamp in the passport. You might also want to ask them to do that if you feel threatened by U.S. Immigation.

Thanks for the replies. Now I just have to save the money. :wink:

For citizens of other countries, there should not be any problems with visiting Cuba.

However, as stated above, Cuba is aware of the concerns so they will provide entry and exit without stamping your passport.

For Americans visiting Cuba, there is one other thing to remember: Don't do any electronic monetary transactions while in Cuba. (unsubstantiated but) I have heard that the gubmint has been known to track people down for making credit card purchases or ATM transactions while in Cuba. Use cash that you got somewhere else. (It may not be true, but exercise caution anyways)

Wristshot

I thought people traveling on a US passport could go to Cuba as long as you connect through Canada or Mexico? Did I think wrong?

SueM. US citizens go to Cuba via Canada, Mexico, Nassau or here (Cayman) because there are no commercial flights from the US to Cuba. Generally speaking, they are all travelling illegally but Cuban immigration will only stamp your tourist card and not your passport so there's no record of them having visited Cuba in their passport (although I understand some eagle eyed US immigration officials are now quizzing people as to where they were following their Cancun exit stamp and Cancun entry stamp a week later).

Those of us fortunate enough to hold nationality other than US can travel to and through the US with Cuban stamps in our passports - I have a British passport with stamps from over 50 visits to Cuba and this has never proved a problem travelling to the US.

To be slightly more accurate, its is unconstitutional for the government to prohibit a US citizen from going to Cuba. However, it is constitutional for the govt to prohibit a US citizen from doing business in Cuba -- powers of the US Commerce Dept. Since it is VERY DIFFICULT to go to Cuba without 'doing business' (i.e. eating, hotels, etc..) for all practical purposes they are prohibiting travel. Some have tried (with some limited success I believe) to conduct business with a Canadian company who arranges the travel and actually conducts the business. There are also exemptions for research and the press. I have heard of 'research trips' to Cuba by US citizens.

All of this requires documentation that could easily be challenged. The question is: IS the diving in Cuba worth it?

I dont know if this helps,but I have made many trips to Jamaica for work
On every flight ,over 50% seem to be latin
But when you leave the airport ,they are all gone

From what i heard , Jamaica is the place to go and they dont stamp passports

I am still waiting till its legal for me

Dive safe

Mark s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom