Current PADI Rescue requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to do PADI rescue in March. What are the physical requirements? About 10 years ago, my sister had to pick up and carry her husband for about 100m. What should I be prepared for?

I've recently completed mine (in the UK). We did nothing like that. Full 'carries' were optional though most of us tried a few steps using whatever technique was best suited to us.

We were a mixed group, from petite young ladies to burly ex-forces. Anything to do with carrying or lifts was tailored to each person's abilities. The emphasis was very much on us understanding what the right approach would be for each one of us, so we didn't turn ourselves into another victim. One or two people completed full lifts out of the water and up the shoreline, others worked in teams to do it, with some of us playing the role of non-diving bystanders who were given directions to help carry together. In the pool, we all completed lifeguard lifts but again if the victim was large, the emphasis was on getting help and avoiding injuring yourself.

I'm going to do PADI rescue in March. What are the physical requirements? About 10 years ago, my sister had to pick up and carry her husband for about 100m. What should I be prepared for?

My husband and I completed the course in July. I was worried about the same thing. I'm 58 and was worried about injuries. Our instructor had us try the carries in the water where joints were more protected. He encouraged us to try going as far as we could. I found the carries were easier than I expected. I found the in water rescue breaths and gear removal to be far more physically taxing.

It's a worthwhile class. I don't feel confident enough in my rescue skills to call myself a "rescue diver". I do feel much more aware and better prepared to handle an emergency. We're headed to Bonaire in October. Both of us felt it would be a good idea to be more educated since we will be on our own.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the class!

There is no physical performance requirement in PADI to pass Rescue. Classes vary by the makeup of the members and the Instructor's enthusiasm. If your class imposes such a carry requirement, the Instructor should be reported to the agency.
The intent, as noted above, is to obtain help for the victim, and assist the victim to the best of your ability, pending the arrival of medical personnel.
Your biggest hurdle in Rescue is self-imposed stress. Good luck, and have fun!
Like most students, you may be most worried about the big hairy ape who is playing out-of-control distressed diver at the surface. That seems to be the exercise that looks scariest add a distance, and some platters love to overdo it.
Well, don't sweat him. Just wait. When he tires, approach him from underwater and circle behind him. Grab his tank between your knees, hang on to his tank valve with your right hand, and reach over his left shoulder to inflate his bcd. He can't reach you there. Ride him, or kick away once he's positively buoyant and wait out the nonsense.

You are training for in-water rescue. That includes getting the person to a hard surface, such as the shore, so that CPR can be started. The circumstances requiring you to carry someone 100m before you can begin CPR would be pretty unusual. You also would like to get the person to an AED if possible. In the case of a remote location, it would make more sense to bring the AED to the diver than the diver to the AED.

As rsingler said, the purpose of the class is to train YOU to perform the kind of rescue YOU might encounter on a recreational dive. The purpose is not to see if you have the qualifications to be part of an elite remote rescue team.

It has been a while since I did my Rescue course, but IIRC, I did have to do a timed 100m (or 100 yard) tired diver tow.

It has been a while since I did my Rescue course, but IIRC, I did have to do a timed 100m (or 100 yard) tired diver tow.
Here is 100% of what the standards say is required in terms of a tired diver tow:

Tows with and without equipment removed,
including underarm push, tank valve tow and
modified tired-swimmer carry​

Here is 100% of what the standards say is required in terms of a tired diver tow:

Tows with and without equipment removed,
including underarm push, tank valve tow and
modified tired-swimmer carry​
What about a carry. Seems the DMs in Roatan like to include this requirement

What about a carry. Seems the DMs in Roatan like to include this requirement

During the training exercises, which may or may not be done in a pool:

Exercise 8 – Exiting the Unresponsive Diver
1. Remove a breathing, unresponsive diver from the
water, both with and without assistance.
2. Remove a nonbreathing diver from the water, both
with and without assistance.​

During OW exercises (rescue Scenarios):
Scenario 2 – Unresponsive Diver at the Surface
Demonstrate:
1. Effectively responding to an unresponsive,
nonbreathing diver during an accident simulation.
2. Evaluation, tow, inwater rescue breathing, removing
equipment, exiting and providing CPR.​

100% about the 'hairy ape' stress mentioned above! When you're in the pool and about to assist a 'panicking' DM who's flailing his arms like an angry orang utan, just dont! Give them a minute or two to get tired and then get in there. (It helped that all the DMs assisting with my course turned out to be very strong but rather unfit...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom