custom o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting, if you have it apart, take some photos and post them, the thing has to be interesting, esp to those of us who like to tinker with the regs and for me the more oddball the better.

Thanks for the info. By pure dumb luck I stumbled into a little out of the way place in Salem Connecticut and virtually bought every thing I needed. But more importantly I got a good education in what a manufactuor means by, no longer supplys parts, and what parts that manufactuor actually produced themselves, or are random parts that can be had else where. My problem was, and I openly admit to it is, I was lead to believe some of these items were unique to a particular manufactuor, when in reality these items can be found just about anywhere. Now don't get me wrong, the machined parts that I stated earlier are unique to this brand of regulator. Bit a o-ring is a o-ring is a o-ring, once you have the specs. That was my fault and now I know better. Thanks to all.

Probably only in the aerospace industry would you find designs that require custom built items like O rings, seals, bearing, etc. Most things mechanical are designed to use existing standard size items either US or metric standards.

Thanks captain, That's exactly what I learned. If I were to stand back in retrospect, you know I know better than that. We see it in almost every industry there is, especiality the marine industry. Like I said I know better, I can now only throw myself at the mercy of the court. Thanks to all.

McMaster-Carr

Viton® Fluoroelastomer O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 001-1/2
$8.80 per Pack of 100..... I need 50 so if you buy them, I'll pay for half :)

Part Number: 9464K181

Last edited:
I'm curious too. The smallest O-ring that I have seen used in SCUBA gear is -003....

Slonda,

The o-rings on a SP second stage balanced poppet are even smaller. :shocked2:
2.2mm i.d. x 1.0mm c.s.

I actually tried a -002 but no joy. I think a -001 1/2 will work, but need to verify.

Couv

Slonda,

The o-rings on a SP second stage balanced poppet are even smaller. :shocked2:
2.2mm i.d. x 1.0mm c.s.

I actually tried a -002 but no joy. I think a -001 1/2 will work, but need to verify.

Couv

I doubt if that will work. The ID on a -001 is only .72 mm. I found a European source for the 2.2 x 1 but they were pretty pricey and only available in larger qtys. I don't remember the site but we can go searching again. But at this point, I think $0.50 each from Scubapro is not too bad. Plus, I only use a new one in the inner sealing position. Unless I actually had a leak from the ambient chamber, I just move the sealing ring to the "scraper" (backup) ring position.

BTW, why did the -002 fail? If it leaked, the -001 is only going to be worse. But other options might be a 5-051 (1.78 x 1.02) or a 5-101 (2.54 x .97). They seem to bracket the spec size.

I could not get the -002 to fit over the poppet. Oddly enough, a -001 1/2 id is larger at 1/16'' but the c.s. is thinner at 1/32" . A -002 i.d. is smaller at 3/64" but the c.s is thicker at 3/64" Now, I admit, I have not tried a -001 1/2, I'm going off a post by someone else, so I'll need to verify it. However, a while back I needed one of those little rascals, and I did manage to find one to fit……but for the life of me, I don't know where the stray came from. It's not one of the set you sent me as this happened quite a while back.....go figure.

Couv

edit: (I know Awap is a math whizz....this is for the mortals who might read this post)

in.............decimal...............mm
1/32........ 0.0313............... 0.7938
3/64........ 0.0469............... 1.1906
1/16........ 0.0625............... 1.5875

Last edited:
Thanks, But I now have more o-rings than I need. HA HA HA! My next venture is reverse engineering some of the machined parts that I might need. We have some excellent machinists in Connecticut, so now it's just a matter of how much I want to spend. In as much as I believe this is one of the most complicated second stadges ever made, my own personal experience and test data says it's also the easiest breathing. No brag,just fact.
Thanks to all.

P.S. Scubapro and I have entered into a debate at present, a one sided debate that they and thier parent company have not responded to, and it has been four months. I would like to continue this debate on Scubaboard but I donot know what forum to enter in. I can only say the opinons I am presenting are mine and mine alone, and represent a obsevation I have made pertaining to a new piece of Scubapro equipment. I have been a loyal Scubapro customer since 1980. Unfortunately, given thier own inability to respond, that doesn't mean much nowadays.

Ah, complication, not a good thing, higher cost, less reliability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom