Customs Delays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having typed all that, this was my first trip to the Keystorm since 9/11/2001. If that's the way it normally goes, I can skip the Keystorm and just dive on the Canadian side when I'm there. If I ever have the desire to do the Keystorm again, I'll just do it with a US charter op...

-Frank

Divers in zodiacs ares still diving the keystorm with out reporting to US customs just like in the good old days before 9/11, so its a 50/50 chance they get questioned and if they do PLAY STUPPED as there is a 48 hour grace period for you Canadians and US citizens on each side of the water, this was implemented when war ships were removed from the great lakes and still stands. I have had many friends sail over to the US last year and in there excitement forgot to report there entry, later on in the day they were approached and questioned and once checked out and cleared were simply told to leave with in the hour. I can't remember ever hearing about a Canadian dive boat being confiscated unless it was up to know good. I would strongly recommend to always report because it makes easy entry into the US for you on future flights and flight connections as those yankees have gone crazy with computers and case building.

Mr A

I've never complained during any of my extra visits except for the time they took OVER AN HOUR with my passport and I was left standing and forgotten in the secondary check. It's really not my fault that Canada doesn't keep proper master copies of UK issue 1999 passports at its largest hub, they do have them for year 2000 onwards, this was the explanation I was told. Hopefully they have fixed this gap in their procedures as 1999 issued UK passports are valid for 5 more years.
Ive gotten so used to them giving me a second check that I make a point of telling whoever is picking me up that I'd probably be the last one off the plane so to speak, I take it in stride and try to make light of it. I'm a blueeyed 30 something caucasian male with dual passports from 'friendly' countries with a canadian accent, hardly high on a terrorist lookout. I know, they know and I'd think most people would realize they are looking for drugs and not whether Im a terrorist or not.
To use Gatwick UK for another example, boarding the planes you are required to be searched twice, by two seperate security checkpoints, both are efficient and quick, yet Pearson has had little obvious change to procedure save for the addition of a few Peel Region ETF officer with submachine guns, you still are only required to be searched once and then have a half a kilometre journey with a multitude of doorways and passages along the way. But the UK can still stream its passengers off the plane giving preference to returning citizens far faster than the system at Pearson and I think its quite obvious UK is a higher target to AlQuaida or lets not forget the heyday of the IRA, than Canada will ever be.

CDN ff:
You know, the same people that complain about being held up for an extra twenty minutes at most, are the ones who would scream the loudest about lax border security if there was a terrorist incident in this country. I'm not condoning rude behaviour by any customs official-you can be efficient and still be pleasant- but anyone who complains about being held up while proper checks are done at borders needs to open a newspaper and give your head a shake. Help up by ten minutes? Too bad. Trust me- you're not as important as you think you are...

I understand your dilemma completely, I've had many UK friend who have gone through the same thing at Pearson international, so I guess our colonial relationship has no meaning anymore. I've traveled all over the world for work and vacation and I can only say to date I've been very lucky or its just my Blue eyes. The US government with its shady middle eastern arms deals etc etc, have created a world situation and have opened pandora's box.

Thanks Yanks.

Mr A

I was one of the US citizens on the boat when Sirius had his issues with the young stormtrooper/ deputy dog in the shadow of Boldt Castle. It was pathetic and he wasn't the only one who was treated with something less than respect by our "friend" in the customs shack.

I have recently done many crossings between Boldt Castle, Thousand Islands region, Port Huron, Buffalo, and Niagara Falls. The one that searched my car last night was polite about it (although he did ask if it might be easier to bring a compressor along than eleven tanks, LOL) and that was US customs in Port Huron. The last one in PH (US again) gave me the fifth degree about why I had a ton of dive gear for a two day trip to Kingston.

Typically, I find that I can breeze into Canada. Getting back into the US is a more time consuming process and it doesn't seem to matter where I cross.

PS As I understand it, US customs is now making the standard rotations at any crossing shorter so that agents have a little less chance of just waving someone through because they recognize them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom