Cycling is Dangerous, Not Diving, I have Concluded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, we rode after we dove Sunday and I had my second fall in a month. This lady totally ran me off the road....I think she was drunk.

We turned to enter Portlock which would put us at the lighted intersection...I think she saw JB in the center of the traffic lane but not me (was I too far to one side, in her blind *drunk* spot?) Anyway, so she keeps coming over and ran me right off the road over the curb to keep from getting hit by her truck.

Well, she was still stopped at the light so I went over to channel my adrenalin on her and bark a bit...her eyes were all bloodshot and her face was red. She looked like a tough chick that would probably kick my sissy butt at any other time, but I don't think she wanted any problems seeing that she was intoxicated. Plus I am brave when I am with a Marine, so I took the opportunity to mouth off a bit more than normal. She kept saying "thank-you" to everything I said. But I could tell she was really thinking "blank-you" by the look on her face.

It was the end (sundown) of a weekend, happy hour, and that may be not the best time to hit the traffic on a bike. JB says I get too rattled.

I really hate drunks....scum of the earth.

Can't they just sit home and drink?

Oh...and another thing. These people who are walking in the bike lane with the traffic WITH headsets really irk me too. "LEFT!" falls on deaf ears but you only realize that and see the cute little ear buds as you pass between them and the other 24 inches seperatating you from the traffic and realize that if they stepped to the side one foot you could be road kill.

Geez, people, have a little respect for flesh and bones.

Riding is making me very aggro.

No bike trails?

There's a bunch of them in Edmonton for cyclists.

Geez, I would stick with the diving if I were you. Maybe you should get one of those neon reflective vests and a blinky blinky light. You know- do it right. :D Glad to hear you survived yet another ride. Be careful out there.

Veteran cyclist; newbie diver. Diving is definitely safer than cycling on a road. The risks are much more manageable underwater. Watch out for the drunk boaters, though.

I think I'd rather swim with sharks than share a road with drunks. Sharks are much more predictable.

I've named this smiley after you to honour your adventures... :)

:catherine: >> :catherine:

El Orans:
I've named this smiley after you to honour your adventures... :)

:catherine: >> :catherine:

OMG!!! That is so mean and funny all at the same time!! You've been immortalized Catherine!!!

This looks a lot safer, Catherine....no drunks around.

5069.jpg

ohhhhh...you guys are ruthless.

nice smiley, Orans.

where do you find this stuff?

I figure I don't have much time left at this rate.

No, no bike trails. #1 pedestrian deaths in the nation....

I am going to try riding on the Marine base at K-bay....

Seriously, I bet diving recreationally is 50 x safer...I need an actuarial to look this up. Do it easy, I bet you have the stats at your fingertips, math-man.

C-

I'm sorry about that but I'm so glad you were able to confront the driver.

I would like to say something about that time of day, though. I was driving home after diving (with Breeze - Sea Caves - just beautiful!!!) and as I was driving into the sun, it really was difficult to see what I was coming up on. And I have really good sunglasses.

The runners in the bike lane (I see it ALL the time at the park) really annoy me. Someone said it was because black top is easier on the joints. But I still think it is wrong when we have such nice wide sidewalks down there.

Well, let's see, in the last month- you've had one close call in the water when your air was "off". On the bike, you've been run off the road and cut off by the minivan, so I would say that your at least in twice as much danger on a bike than underwater... then throw in the fact that there are a high incidence of pedestrian deaths, and I think bike riding is a recipe for disaster. Stick with the diving- I know I feel safer underwater than driving to the dive site.

Back
Top Bottom