D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should, but I'm just making them from a distance.... Some one should buy me D420 in the interests of faster iteration! Lol.
Respectfully
James
While you were writing this I was making nearly that very offer.

I’m just curious thinking about when normally having a calibrated position and then increasing the resistance versus going from zero to plus and minus without a calibrated point what the effects would be?

I’m just curious thinking about when normally having a calibrated position and then increasing the resistance versus going from zero to plus and minus without a calibrated point what the effects would be?
My experience with this reg, once set to not dribble air there is nothing to be gained by reducing the pressure except maybe as a seat saver.

It should, but I'm just making them from a distance.... Some one should buy me D420 in the interests of faster iteration! Lol.
Respectfully
James

On more run at mine and if it doesn't play nice I'll have one going cheap.

On more run at mine and if it doesn't play nice I'll have one going cheap.
James says he can make an adjuster in blue for you!

This design is very far removed from the common regulators we are so used to and can tune in our sleep that I don’t think a standard mindset works, tuning can only go so far and once things like the lever are set, as rob suggested, with some play between the diaphragm and the lever and you don’t have a damaged seat, there is only so much that can be done, it’s performance is in the design not in how it’s manipulated with tuning.

My 420 had a horrid high lever so it took to much spring to counteract the lever being partially depressed, it breaths fine now, doesn’t have the mad rush of air that I’m used to but when I just breath, even hard, it never slows me down. No diving until next week if the weather cooperates but I have over the course of this week messing with this thing I’ve drained an HP 100 so I’m done messing with it until it swims with the fishes.

A catastrophic sudden change in circumstances Saturday morning has lead to a cancellation of my trip. Now I have the time I'll have another run at the D. As I'm waiting on a new spring pad I'll just use the old one as I'm not convinced it's part of the issue but more the defective seat and mountains of grease.

A catastrophic sudden change in circumstances Saturday morning has lead to a cancellation of my trip. Now I have the time I'll have another run at the D. As I'm waiting on a new spring pad I'll just use the old one as I'm not convinced it's part of the issue but more the defective seat and mountains of grease.
Well I’m sorry to hear that I hope you didn’t lose any money and were able to reschedule.

I lost my new job before I started. Was supposed to start when I got back. They told me on Saturday morning due to a large sudden loss of students, there's a rumor going around that he's touching kids, that the school can no longer afford two teachers. I'd quit all my part time work for this job.

Now I have no job at all I couldn't justify a trip to Thailand so canceled it Saturday. The hotel was really good, I've stayed there a few times so accepted cancellation without penalty, the dive trip I was going to pay in cash upon arrival so lost nothing there. The airline due to the virus had changed my flights so many times and with the last change being greater than 8 hours I met the criteria for full refund, it'll take 6-8 weeks but looks like I lose nothing. Poo.

Just finished overhauling the D, it is finicky. It kinda jumps all over the place. Cracking varies greatly after purging, taking a few breaths or turning air on and off. The slightest turn of the hex key at times results in bizarre readings and changes.

My lever is just shy of case rim, hex key 3-4mm in, any less and it leaks. For the "most part" it's cracking around 1.2-1.3". Seems stable, as in it's not leaking at least.

I'll dive it tomorrow in an attempt to drown my sorrows, pun intended, and then sell it.

Was comparing it my G260, G250s and Conshelfs all of which hold tune, lock solid, and don't vary if I push purge, turn air on and off etc

Not a fan at this stage. I stand by my initial impressions, finicky just like the original Ds. I guess the D just isn't for me. Obviously YMMV.

Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom