DAC -> SAC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Capt. T. Goetz I have not looked in detail, but it is my impressions that ALL dive computers that are air-integrated (by hose or wireless) have a version of the "air/gas time remaining" information available for display during the dive. I believe, in most gases, it is based on how many psi/minute you have used over the last few (2?) minutes, and extrapolating that to the remaining gas pressure in the tank. (Details will vary from computer to computer.)
It is only a valid estimate if you maintain the same depth and the same workload.
Wasn't aware of that, looks like I haven't been keeping up with technology as much as the average scuba nerd....<TG>:shakehead:

@Capt. T. Goetz I have not looked in detail, but it is my impressions that ALL dive computers that are air-integrated (by hose or wireless) have a version of the "air/gas time remaining" information available for display during the dive. I believe, in most cases, it is based on how many psi/minute you have used over the last few (2?) minutes, and extrapolating that to the remaining gas pressure in the tank. (Details will vary from computer to computer.)
It is only a valid estimate if you maintain the same depth and the same workload.
This is accurate. I had some type of GTR/ATR on all of my dive computers. All were air integrated. IIRC, my Oceanics (ProPlus2, VT4.1) had a DTR (Dive Time Remaining) display. I believe it may have been an option to display on the VT, not sure about the PP2. DTR would display whichever was the limiting factor (NDL or ATR) as the DTR.

My Perdix AI has GTR as mentioned, but not the DTR. Not a big deal as both are clearly displayed.

In either iteration, the ATR/GTR makes an assumption that you will remain at the same depth breathing the same rate. It will recalculate rather quickly if you change depth.

Gas time remaining / air time remaining is far from new. In addition to Oceanic and Shearwater, Scubapro has it on their Galileo computers. I'm not sure when they were released but definitely prior to 2010. I bet all manufacturers have such a feature on air integrated dive computers.

Additionally on the AI Shearwater computers they do have the option to show you real time what your SAC is displayed as X PSI/Bar / minute.

I guess it could be a useful thing to tell you if you are breathing super hard but that is the kind of thing that I can't imagine not knowing already without needing to look at something.

Well, this thread had me reviewing my Suunto Cobra dive computer’s manual, and it does display air time remaining (from the mid-2000s). So this feature has been around for many years.

SeaRat

Have you looked at the "Gas Time Remaining" display some computers have?
For example: View attachment 660744

My digital SPG does this for me in the RANGE at top right corner. It tells time to 50 bar from any point on the dive.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom