DAN Divers Alert Network

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also a new diver and I chose the "Master" level insurance coverage for me and a family plan with no insurance for the rest of my family (who only snorkel, not dive). It's a ridiculously cheap investment in peace of mind for me and my family should anything happen to me while I'm diving on vacation or even at home.

Most places won't even let you go diving without DAN insurance....dive ops want to see these 2 cards....your "C" card (scuba certification card sufficient to cover your 'level' of diving) ... AND...your DAN insurance card.

Definitely become a member!!!

If you're travelling to dive get the premium insurance without question then you are covered to the hilt between DAN and your primary.

I also use thier trip insurance...a bit pricey but so is a liveaboard vacation...it's part of the cost.

Trip insurance is a good consideration but I don't care for theirs. Other than their dive insurance, the other insurance products are not competitive. Just the best they could broker when members told them to offer I suppose.

I have never been asked to show proof of DAN insurance. I do a fair amount of diving...

Most places won't even let you go diving without DAN insurance....dive ops want to see these 2 cards....your "C" card (scuba certification card sufficient to cover your 'level' of diving) ... AND...your DAN insurance card.

Definitely become a member!!!

If you're travelling to dive get the premium insurance without question then you are covered to the hilt between DAN and your primary.

I used to think the same thing, I had the Master Plan and thought that I would just upgrade it to the Preferred Plan if I went on a dive trip ... that is until a good friend pointed out that she was diving in her own back yard when she suffered a diving injury that took all of the coverage that the Preferred Plan could supply her.

I changed mine to Preferred right then and there

Hi everyone,
Could I get your thoughts about joining DAN? I'm new to diving and it seems like a good idea, it's very cheap.
Thank you,

You summed it up pretty nicely.......Get it IMO..

I have never been asked to show proof of DAN insurance. I do a fair amount of diving...
Nah, the only one I have encountered was a group I used to travel with as they had a lot of injuries. Funny group. Usually they just want to see my credit card; occasionally my C-card but that's rare.
I used to think the same thing, I had the Master Plan and thought that I would just upgrade it to the Preferred Plan if I went on a dive trip ... that is until a good friend pointed out that she was diving in her own back yard when she suffered a diving injury that took all of the coverage that the Preferred Plan could supply her.

I changed mine to Preferred right then and there
I always get trip insurance when I leave the US, and it includes $100,000 accidental coverage, including scuba to 130 ft - and it's quite rare that I go deeper. Accidents happen on local dives too, and there is more to the Preferred plan than just twice the maximum as Master. I've been tempted to downgrade by you only save $35/year. :idk: Nah...

I just hate for anyone to get cheapest plan as it's only $10/year cheaper but you lose so much. compare plans here DAN says that some members insist the Standard is all they want? Maybe they think their primary covers them and they just want a little backup? :confused: Still not a good choice, IMO.

After reading the exclusions in the DAN policy is would appear to me that diving "Pros" are no covered.

After reading the exclusions in the DAN policy is would appear to me that diving "Pros" are no covered.
I find that difficult to believe. Would you like to quote or cite reasons for that claim?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom