DAN, have you ever use it ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblelogist

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm curious to hear about people who used DAN after an accident and needed treatment. I just want to know how it worked, what was the procedure, etc.

bubblelogist:
Hi,
I'm curious to hear about people who used DAN after an accident and needed treatment. I just want to know how it worked, what was the procedure, etc.

My buddy Dan can be a bit cranky and downright Irate if provoked. Leave him alone and you'll be ok. :eyebrow:

oversea:
My buddy Dan can be a bit cranky and downright Irate if provoked. Leave him alone and you'll be ok. :eyebrow:
Sorry I should be more clear... I'm looking for facts. I know that in the case of a emergency one of the first thing to do after first aid is to call Dan whatever if the diver is insured or not. my intention is if I need to use it one day I can learn by someone else experience what to expect.

Last month when I flew back from Monterey, CA, I developed numbness in my right arm, so I called Dan. They hooked me up with a local doctor who examined me within the hour, without and appointment, without any forms to fill out, without waiting one second when I arrived at the hospital. The doctor then gave me his home phone and cell number and told me to call at any hour for any reason while they were monitoring me. Dan continued to stay involved until the issue was resolved (I did not have DCS, just a herniated disk). Dan called me a few days later to follow up.
I have never received a bill or any paperwork. It was the simplest, smoothest medical event I was even involved with.

A couple of years ago I developed bursitis and thought I was bent, because I had just finished my DM course, which involved a crazy amount of diving.

I phoned them and they handled it logically. Said, "It doesn't sound like DCI, see your GP." Told me to get my logs together just in case. This scared me slightly because I didn't keep any.

Lesson learned; now I keep a log of each season. When I get to the end of the season unscathed, then I chuck the log. :)

bubblelogist:
Sorry I should be more clear... I'm looking for facts. I know that in the case of a emergency one of the first thing to do after first aid is to call Dan whatever if the diver is insured or not. my intention is if I need to use it one day I can learn by someone else experience what to expect.

I knew what you meant, I was being a smart a_s and should've kept my mouth shut. I know nothing about DAN, sorry.

doole:
A couple of years ago I developed bursitis and thought I was bent, because I had just finished my DM course, which involved a crazy amount of diving.

I phoned them and they handled it logically. Said, "It doesn't sound like DCI, see your GP." Told me to get my logs together just in case. This scared me slightly because I didn't keep any.

Lesson learned; now I keep a log of each season. When I get to the end of the season unscathed, then I chuck the log. :)

So just so that I understand, you were able to do your DM course without a log?

perpet1:
So just so that I understand, you were able to do your DM course without a log?

Well no you don't understand, but thanks for forcing me to explain it.

It was around then that I started to change my rules a bit. You can only have so many log entries that say, "Yup. Viz still sucks. Rocks are where they were last time."

Now what I keep is more like a table; just numbers. It gets thrown out seasonally. Like I said.

Except of course when I'm teaching. Then, I even log the horsefly attacks.

Spoken like a true Canadian!

By the way, the rock is still there and Bob the Bass says hi!

i have never used DAN, but a buddy did.

it's a long story, but diving the exact same profile (we were never more than a foot
or two apart) after the second dive, he got bent (or so he thought).

so he went to a hospital, got six hours in the chamber, follow ups, a DAN doctor here
in town saw him to make sure he was ok, got some more follow up, etc.
DAN covered everything the insurance wouldn't cover. worked very well.

sadly for my friend, he wasn't bent. there was another medical problem causing
his symptoms. it's his story, and not really germane to your question, though.

but yes, DAN came through for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom