DAN member?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't be without it. Just think of it as another piece of equipment you buy every year. As with most insurance policies, it is a gamble, but a very reasonable price to pay for the peace of mind. Plus you get access to the statistical reports and you are helping support further education and research.

Now don't you feel better?

We're going to the Southern Caribe on a 10 day cruise, and I plan on diving on three of the islands. The idea of going without proper insurance gave me the chills. When my AMEX bill came this month, the boss lady kind of locked her heels at the $64.00 charge, so I told her I'd pay it from farm profits. It seems cheap to me, for the coverage, especially if you are traveling to dive.

I got DAN insurance a month after I was OW certified. I don't get to dive as much as some of these scubaholics on this board :wink: , but the idea of diving without the insurance is spooky.

You can do everything right and still take a hit - and as stated above, while hopefully I will never need it, the costs involved in a chamber ride can be staggering.

I look at it as another piece of required equipment.

I'm an insurance agent, and I think that it's worth it. If you are just diving around your area and you know what your Dad's ins. covers, well then that's a maybe, but if your going any where on a trip it's worth getting it. Call your Dad's insurance company and ask them if you have a diving accident what will they cover.
P.S. Write down who you talked to in case you don't get Dan and you have a problem, always document everything when it comes to insurance.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac :)

One of the first things I did when i got certified in Sept was apply for Dan coverage. I have 4 kids all diving with me and we are all covered. Hell I am an insurance agents dream I believe in lots of coverage. makes me nervous tho I have discovered that if I die while diving my wife is going to be very comfortable :0 All the loans paid off cash for college, Dan ins. plus enough extra cash to attract some in her terms "serious young hunks" heheh I fill my own tanks keep her hand off :)

:drown:

If you NEVER dive more than 50 miles from your home, then just get a DAN membership (insurance only covers incidents that occur more than 50 miles from your home).

If you dive once (or more than once) over 50 miles from your home, then get the insurance.

If he thinks his medical insurance will cover you, he better call that company and make sure that a diving accident would be covered, with all the treatments, emergency evacuation, etc. that may be required.

raxafarian once bubbled...
If you NEVER dive more than 50 miles from your home, then just get a DAN membership (insurance only covers incidents that occur more than 50 miles from your home).

I thought the 50 mile from your home rule was for the Travel Assist portion of the insurance, not the actual medical cost coverage itself.

So, my understanding is that when you travel more than 50 miles and suffer a covered incident, Travel Assist kicks in to cover your transportation, or whatever costs are involved in returning home.

My futher understanding is that DAN insurance covers the medical costs (chamber ride, ambulance, etc.) whether or not you dive locally or in some far away location.

Clarification please?

I got the PADI dive insurance and am enjoying peace of mind. Seems like more people use DAN. Should I switch next year?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom