DAN Members, DAN Insurance, are you, do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Family/Preferred

Should be enough here to convince you but if not My wife and I just signed up 2 months ago.

I did a lot of research and even read a copy of a fairly recent DAN magazine, Alert Diver and the membership to me is definitely worth it for the knowledge and peace of mind. Plus I plan to travel overseas for most of my diving and as a newbie, I opted for the preferred insurance and DAN membership. I read of how even experienced divers get DCS from mistakes and its worth the coverage hopefully will never need it. One of the LDS recommend DAN as well.

Since when is making a profit evil? I for one hope they continue to make a profit, that way it will ensure they are there in the (hopefully never) off chance one of my family members or myself need them. I own my own business and am definately in it for the profit, that folkes is what makes the world go round!

On a side note if I cannot afford $100 a year for coverage there are probably deeper issues at hand and I should probably be looking into doing other things to improve my financial stability................

Family/Insured

Since when is making a profit evil? I for one hope they continue to make a profit, that way it will ensure they are there in the (hopefully never) off chance one of my family members or myself need them. I own my own business and am definately in it for the profit, that folkes is what makes the world go round!
:confused: What was that about?

DAN is non-profit of course. They contract to various insurance companies for various insurance products, and those are standard, for-profit companies usually. Mutual and fraternal insurance organizations do exist, but may not bid for the business or just lose the bids. All in all, it's a relatively fair process, even tho the insurance companies will want to keep claims reasonable within their stated coverages.

DAN offers insurance coverages other than dive insurance probably because members asked for those, and it's a membership organization. Pleasing all the members is impossible of course, and I don't care for any of their other plans.

And it is not Saint DAN. The organization has had some problems, but most of those are in the past. It helps if some members do watch the operations of even the non-profit organization, give feedback, even publicize issues - but it seems more admirable than most.

There is nothing wrong with making a profit. Taking advantage of thousands of people by offering "insurance" for something that almost never happens is shameful. This "insurance" is so limited that 1 in 100,000 will ever get to have any return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom